Recommend an affordable analog console? And Toft ATB?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Recommend an affordable analog console? And Toft ATB?

Post by kslight » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Someone I do a lot of mixing for is looking to get an analog console to mix with at his PTHD based project studio. He wants something that is not so old that it is going to be a maintenance nightmare, will provide summing capabilities when he wants it and mixing capabilities when I am there (to interface with his outboard). Does not need automation. He already has a lot of excellent preamps and conversion. I think something in the feature set of the Toft ATB32 would be adequate for his needs, but want to know if that is going to be the best value for the money...is there something that is relatively current on the market (or at least easy/inexpensive to repair and doesn't have obsolete components!) that would be better spec'd and maybe add more mojo. He wanted to get a few AMS Neve 8816 summing units and the flying fader packs but I'm kind of thinking that the expense of that is going to push him into buying a decent actual console territory. He has enough space for a proper console, but he'd rather not have something super huge.

So...what other boards should I be looking at in this price/feature range? Less than $10k, modular channels, 32+ channels, 8+ busses, not a huge footprint?

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 am

Soundcaft 6000 is worth a look. Had one just like this for 7 or 8 years. Or maybe a Neotek ?

cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Recommend an affordable analog console? And Toft ATB?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 am

kslight wrote: So...what other boards should I be looking at in this price/feature range? Less than $10k, modular channels, 32+ channels, 8+ busses, not a huge footprint?
Allen & Heath GL 2800-32. less than 5500 with tax.

See my pics:

http://nicksevilla.com/nicksevilla.com/ ... tos.html#2
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Recommend an affordable analog console? And Toft ATB?

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
kslight wrote: So...what other boards should I be looking at in this price/feature range? Less than $10k, modular channels, 32+ channels, 8+ busses, not a huge footprint?
Allen & Heath GL 2800-32. less than 5500 with tax.

See my pics:

http://nicksevilla.com/nicksevilla.com/ ... tos.html#2
Doesn't appear to really be setup for studio though...as far as I can tell not much for direct outs either?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:31 pm

I've been going over this for the last few years and came to the following conclusions:

-If you get a new board, it will be more functional and set-up to intergrate with a DAW. But unless you are willing to drop 12-50 grand, it will not have the character of a classic console, or the eq will be sub par, or it will be a giant circut board. Great new stuff from API, Wunder, Audient, and Neotek if you can swing it. Decent stuff from Toft, Midas, and Soundcraft. Allen & Heath geared towards live use, but still funcional depending on the model and options.

-if you get an older board, you will be sinking in as much money in capacitor replacements and repairs as the board itself costs. plus it may have to be modded to integrate into a modern set up with a DAW. I've been looking at Ward-Beck stuff, Calrec, Amek and Neotek consoles. On a budget alot of poeple like the Soundcraft Ghosts and Deltas, and Soundtracs Topaz.

-you will have to find something in your area or be willing to drive to test it out so you know what you are getting. photo's can be decieving.

-you will have to get lucky, and be in the right place at the right time, and have a generous seller.

-gotta do a ton of research on the console and make sure it works for your needs. Direct outs, proper routing, etc.

-i wont be buying anything until I can afford something that will last 5-10 years at least.

good luck.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:54 pm

I can handle the repair end for recapping and such, but not looking for something that needs a total overhaul or conversion to be functional... For example I've got some model of Harrison board that's been taken apart in pieces by module that we could use, but there's a whole lot of time and expense related to that and IMHO not a great enough board to even bother with.. So really what I am saying is not looking for a "project", if that makes sense.

Like we need something that is relatively small, ergonomically/routing-wise already setup for our needs (I would suggest the Midas Venice but it seems impractically setup), easily repairable... Pres don't matter too much, having good EQ, summing, and a logical workflow is important though.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Mavericks in NYC is selling their Neotek Elan for like 9K?
That's 32 channels with a full patchbay. Has Purple Audio mods on the 2 mix section.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:57 am

roscoenyc wrote:Mavericks in NYC is selling their Neotek Elan for like 9K?
That's 32 channels with a full patchbay. Has Purple Audio mods on the 2 mix section.
Whoah, I just saw that thing the other week. It's in great shape! Sounds good too.