actual email...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm

I thought that you were a recording studio, a record label, and a successful booking agent with a huge database...

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue May 03, 2011 7:19 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Random rapper of the week called this afternoon at 3:11pm. He's the next biggest thing. A Sierra Leone transplant. He says he already has a record done and is looking for someone to put it out. To which I responded, "Then why are you calling me? This is a recording studio?"
Maybe the "Independent Record Label and Artist Collective" part of your website confused him.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 03, 2011 8:43 am

Bro Shark wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:Random rapper of the week called this afternoon at 3:11pm. He's the next biggest thing. A Sierra Leone transplant. He says he already has a record done and is looking for someone to put it out. To which I responded, "Then why are you calling me? This is a recording studio?"
Maybe the "Independent Record Label and Artist Collective" part of your website confused him.
Uh, yeah, right. Which explicitly states "THIRD MONK DOESN'T OFFER RECORD DEALS".

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue May 03, 2011 9:35 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
Bro Shark wrote:
Uh, yeah, right. Which explicitly states "THIRD MONK DOESN'T OFFER RECORD DEALS".
Technically, it says you don't "offer" them which is why he was asking you! :wink:

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 03, 2011 9:40 am

lyman wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
Bro Shark wrote:
Technically, it says you don't "offer" them which is why he was asking you! :wink:
lol

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue May 03, 2011 6:04 pm

dwlb wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:"Then why are you calling me? This is a recording studio?"
Both excellent questions.
Why do I even try... when dwlb can just slip in something this good and make it look so effortless.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm

dwlb wrote:Both excellent questions.
For the record, Joe, nicely played.

CG

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Uh, yeah, right. Which explicitly states "THIRD MONK DOESN'T OFFER RECORD DEALS".
But you didn't tell him what thirty five bucks could get him?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

* bows *
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 06, 2011 7:50 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
Bro Shark wrote:
So, Jeff.

A record label that does not do recording contracts?

GENIUS. Or mad. I cannot decide...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 am

That IS the question, indeed.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 10:28 am

hold on, i'll go get him.

MSE trundles over to Third Monk, knocks politely on door. No answer. Notices ringer, tries that. Nothing. Goes around to the back, brushes dirt and debris from a window and peers in. All that's visible is a lone desk, cluttered with dozens of band demos and a half-finished bottle of YooHoo.

Returning to the front, he fishes a credit card from his wallet and hopes the old college door-carding skills are still intact. Alas, time has not been kind and the door remains closed. Dammit. He casts his eyes skyward in hopes of an answer. And there it is. The chimney. Perfect! He ascends to the roof, and looking like a suitless Santa on a starvation diet, gingerly lowers himself into the chimney.

Emerging into the well-appointed client lounge, he wipes soot from his eyes, helps himself to a handful of Hershey Kisses from the dish on the receptionists' desk, and begins quietly wandering the halls on tiptoe. Realizing the whole place is wall to wall 2" thick shag carpet, he decides tiptoes are probably unnecessary and starts walking normally.

After passing through the live room, he comes to the control room and quietly opens the door. There, asleep on the couch, is the one and only Jeff Robinson. MSE goes over and gently nudges Jeff on the shoulder. "Hey man, wake up." Jeff groggily mumbles "5 more minutes" and pulls the blanket over his head. "No man, NOW. Dudes on the board have a question. IT'S IMPORTANT." Jeff slowly opens his eyes, sees a complete stranger covered head to toe in black soot, and screams.

FIN

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 06, 2011 11:09 am

Weren't you covered in black soot in that Roh Delikat promo shot? You're covered in black soot a lot, man. Something we should know?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 11:24 am

know? uh...no....*dusts self off, exits quickly*