Neve 33609 Limiter/Compressor power down/up question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Neve 33609 Limiter/Compressor power down/up question

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

We recently got a Neve 33609 Limiter/Compressor and love it. My issue is that when we power it down at night and then power back up the stereo/mono and bypass/in switches revert to bypass and mono! I now there are jumpers/switches inside for the rear panel thing, but I don't think they will change this behavior. Does anyone know of they will? It hasn't ruined a mix yet by not being caught, but almost! Seems pretty silly for an otherwise wonderful unit.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 pm

That means you have the J/D thingy.
I have the original, that just has switches. I dont know why the F they did that with the new ones.
old man voice ----> Dang new fangled light bulb switches!!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Neve 33609 Limiter/Compressor power down/up question

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:45 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:We recently got a Neve 33609 Limiter/Compressor and love it. My issue is that when we power it down at night and then power back up the stereo/mono and bypass/in switches revert to bypass and mono! I now there are jumpers/switches inside for the rear panel thing, but I don't think they will change this behavior. Does anyone know of they will? It hasn't ruined a mix yet by not being caught, but almost! Seems pretty silly for an otherwise wonderful unit.
My McDSP preset of the 33609 in Compressorbank does this same thing when I instantiate it from scratch.

bwaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Seriously. I don't know how the UAD 33609 reacts.

I don't recall any of our rentals of a 33609 ever behaving that way.

btw, use this thing on toms and piano. WOW

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 am

Yeah, seems I'm stuck with this bad behavior. Maybe I should just give mine to Jeff? I LOVE the things it does, and all I do is just turn knobs without looking until it sounds cool! Piano I have done, toms next. Did whole mixes too.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:08 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Yeah, seems I'm stuck with this bad behavior. Maybe I should just give mine to Jeff? I LOVE the things it does, and all I do is just turn knobs without looking until it sounds cool! Piano I have done, toms next. Did whole mixes too.
If you look, it only lets you know you are doing a lot with it and it still sounds great.
Easily my number one desert island compressor, over anything I own or have EVER used anywhere.

Simplicity, sound, and general awesomeness are off the charts with the 33609. There is literally nothing it wont do.
there are 2 in my console, and two more in my rack. 4 channels of walloping limiter/compressor. None of them are the new fangled kind though, so I cant help on the switch ding-dongery.

Dominick Costanzo
pushin' record

Post by Dominick Costanzo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:54 am

Easy fix -
Leave it on

Not as easy fix -
Requires either cutting and jumping traces or building a daughter board / socket for IC3 on the 11720 DC power & relay logic board

To change power up status to "IN", IC3 pin 5 (Q) goes to R11 & R12 and pin 6 (not Q) goes to R10. IC3 pin 6 should still loop back to IC3 pin 2 (D)

To change power up status to "STEREO", IC3 pin 9 (Q) goes to R21 and pin 8 (not Q) goes to R19 & R20. IC3 pin 8 should still loop back to IC3 pin 12 (D)

If you go the daughter board route and want to be slick you can put jumper connectors on the daughter board to "program" power up status
Dominick Costanzo

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:Yeah, seems I'm stuck with this bad behavior. Maybe I should just give mine to Jeff? I LOVE the things it does, and all I do is just turn knobs without looking until it sounds cool! Piano I have done, toms next. Did whole mixes too.
Awesome.

Ship to:

Third Monk Records
320 Miller Avenue, Suite 170
Box 12
Ann Arbor MI 48103

:-)