Flipping phase...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Flipping phase...

Post by wesley.wittich » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 am

Question: If I have, let's say, a single vocal track. It's the only thing I have recorded. There is nothing to cancel, etc. If I flip the phase, will it change the sound of the individual track? I understand that phase flipping can affect the way a track cancels/interacts with other signals, but what about itself? Does phase flipping alter the tone of the thing that is flipped? If so, how exactly does this work?

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:05 am

The audibility/importance of absolute phase is a pretty big can of worms, and if you look on google you'll find a few studies and a lot of invective. The easiest answer: can you hear a change if you flip the polarity? If so, does it sound better one way than the other?

For me the answer is no, I don't notice a significant loss in quality if I flip polarity on a track in isolation. And so I don't worry about it.

If there is an audible effect, it'll be most pronounced on highly asymmetrical waveforms, e.g. trumpet, violin, some synthesized sounds.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:39 am

Oh that flippin' phase ...

:English accent off:

(Waits for someone to argue track inversion is not phase.)

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am

dfuruta wrote: If there is an audible effect, it'll be most pronounced on highly asymmetrical waveforms, e.g. trumpet, violin, some synthesized sounds.
Or, for example, if you flip the bass guitar and not the kick drum, and the two tracks are trying to provide the same frequencies within the mix at the same time. Now instead of them both making the speaker go the same way, they're working against one another.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:56 am

although that presumes that the bass and kick are hitting at EXACTLY the same time, which is unlikely in real (non-gridded) life.

not disagreeing, just sayin'.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:31 pm

IN the OP's scenario of just vocal by itself, No it won't make any difference.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Flipping phase...

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:33 pm

WesleyScott wrote:Question: If I have, let's say, a single vocal track. It's the only thing I have recorded. There is nothing to cancel, etc. If I flip the phase, will it change the sound of the individual track? I understand that phase flipping can affect the way a track cancels/interacts with other signals, but what about itself? Does phase flipping alter the tone of the thing that is flipped? If so, how exactly does this work?
All this is going to do is make the first motion of the speaker you play back on correspond to the 270 degree position of the waveform instead of the 90 degree position. Everything is offset 180 degrees which shouldn't sound noticeably different.

I say that because it was Joe Chiccarelli once, who asked that I flip the phase of the leads on the speakers he was monitoring with. The reason was that some speakers sound slightly different with phase reversed because of how the driver has to move. It's worth listening to- for you, but not worth doing to work. See if YOU hear a difference.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Flipping phase...

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:08 pm

WesleyScott wrote:Question: If I have, let's say, a single vocal track. It's the only thing I have recorded. There is nothing to cancel, etc. If I flip the phase, will it change the sound of the individual track? I understand that phase flipping can affect the way a track cancels/interacts with other signals, but what about itself? Does phase flipping alter the tone of the thing that is flipped? If so, how exactly does this work?
No.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:19 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:although that presumes that the bass and kick are hitting at EXACTLY the same time, which is unlikely in real (non-gridded) life.

not disagreeing, just sayin'.
I suppose that depends on your rhythm section!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:21 pm

What you are talking about it's not really known as flipping phase. It's called reversing polarity. There is absolute polarity and reversed polarity.

I like how John Dent explains it:

"Correct absolute polarity is fundamental to the listening experience, I have no problem in my studio determining which is correct. For those that think it doesn't matter or have no idea what its about, here's a very simple explanation.

recording a bass drum..microphone infront of drum.....drummer strikes drumskin....1st motion of skin it moves forward.....microphone diaphragm moves back into
microphone....this produces a positve peak on pin 2 of the XLR .... if this was then connected to your loudspeaker....the bass cone 1st pulse should move forwards towards you., ... and that's it

it does matter.....

summary
Very few sounds are equal in both polarities, primarily electronic keyboards.. if you can't hear polarity differences either your source has been ruined, by over compressing , confused multitrack recording or general lack of resolution...
or your monitoring system is hopeless at resolving what's really there...

my summary may sound harsh, but the reality is there are a lot of people out there both recording and listening that don't actually understand recorded sound.

Best Wishes JohnD"

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 pm

nice quote!

I'd say in OP's case, if the vocal is already tracked, and it's accapella, then no.

It can make a huge difference it you flip the polarity switch on a preamp while tracking. Throwing the mic out of phase by reversing the polarity can sound either wonderful or terrible. Flip and decide which one.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm

ott0bot wrote:nice quote!

I'd say in OP's case, if the vocal is already tracked, and it's accapella, then no.

It can make a huge difference it you flip the polarity switch on a preamp while tracking. Throwing the mic out of phase by reversing the polarity can sound either wonderful or terrible. Flip and decide which one.
If one is recording a vocal with a single mic, flipping the polarity is not going to change the wonderfulness or terribleness of the track, unless the preamp is broken...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 pm

If the guy or gal is shouting into a mic, driving that mic diaphragm into the mic it might sound, or at least feel, different. Instead of the transient pushing out towards you, applying pressure to your eardrum, it'll suck the speaker back, creating a vacuum. Vacuum and pressure are polar opposite conditions in the atmosphere, how can that not be perceived differently.

I've started never reversing my kick mic. I leave that be and check all the other phases against that. Hopefully I get to flip my snare top mic.

The OP still hasn't answered the question of whether they hear a difference.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:53 pm

dfuruta wrote:

If one is recording a vocal with a single mic, flipping the polarity is not going to change the wonderfulness or terribleness of the track, unless the preamp is broken...
um..yeah it do.

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:23 am

ott0bot wrote:
dfuruta wrote:

um..yeah it do.
<pulls up chair, pops corn>