Just trying to understand...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 11:52 am

i'll always like 'ok computer'. all the new stuff i've heard, which admittedly isn't that much, has been total snoozeville.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i'll always like 'ok computer'. all the new stuff i've heard, which admittedly isn't that much, has been total snoozeville.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHS3ci9H_Uc

lefthanddoes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefthanddoes » Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 pm

It does sound a little bit like a phase to me, and I'd hope the OP would listen to me because I know EXACTLY what he's talking about with regard to the synthesesia. Whether I know how to spell that word is another issue, but I def know about the neon green synths and stuff.

I feel like comparing this to food. I feel like comparing synthetic or quantized-sounding music to classic style of character and oldness is like comparing Gatorade to a craft beer. (I love Gatorade.)

I would compare Steve Albini to a juicy steak. And nobody wants steak-texture printed on the walls of their apartment.

It's definitely easier to convey a musical idea when it's communicated simply, and a complex melody is easier to hear when it's played perfectly. But I think what most people get out of music is intangible, and it's because of other stuff besides literally the music itself. That's why we get into these arguments.

Everyone is saying stuff about how often times people go back to the old stuff because it is familiar and comfortable and complicated by associated memories of old times.

I also think (and this is based purely on personal experience) that the OP (I can't remember his name) is doing the exact same thing. I listened to a lot of Police, Rush, Genesis, Split Enz, Tears For Fears, 80s stuff when I was young, and those kind of sounds resonate with me, and if anyone asks me why, the best way to describe the feeling is just that they sound cooler.

I think if you ask someone 20 years older than me why they like stuff that sounds like the Stones, it's probably the same answer, but people try to explain it otherwise, citing reasons why any music from any era is good, like the fact that it has character or attitude or vibe.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 12:31 pm

haha, perfect!
lefthanddoes wrote:I would compare Steve Albini to a juicy steak. And nobody wants steak-texture printed on the walls of their apartment.
lolz, what on earth does this MEAN?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri May 06, 2011 12:37 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
lefthanddoes wrote:I would compare Steve Albini to a juicy steak. And nobody wants steak-texture printed on the walls of their apartment.
It means synesthesia is not always a pleasant faculty. Every person's synesthesia is different and subjective, but regardless, it makes total sense to me.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 06, 2011 12:56 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
It means synesthesia is not always a pleasant faculty. Every person's synesthesia is different and subjective, but regardless, it makes total sense to me.
I took it to mean I should probably repaint my living room before putting up ads for a sublease.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 pm

dwlb wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:It means synesthesia is not always a pleasant faculty. Every person's synesthesia is different and subjective, but regardless, it makes total sense to me.
I took it to mean I should probably repaint my living room before putting up ads for a sublease.
So how is it living with Lady Gaga?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 06, 2011 1:26 pm

dwlb wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:It means synesthesia is not always a pleasant faculty. Every person's synesthesia is different and subjective, but regardless, it makes total sense to me.
Dinnertime is never dull!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri May 06, 2011 1:37 pm

dwlb wrote:
dwlb wrote:
Dinnertime is never dull!
I bet. Maybe you should have Butch Vig do the bathroom!

lefthanddoes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefthanddoes » Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Yeah I thought about explaining that one a little more concretely but then I decided I'd just let TOMB do its thing.