What are your Recall Methods or Techniques?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thedonwood
audio school graduate

Post by thedonwood » Fri May 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Check out Teaboy if you haven't already. They have recall sheets for tons of outboard gear and console strips. Has been a lifesaver for me!

http://www.teaboyaudio.com/
AKG, Neumann, B&K, EV ->
Avalon Pre->
Apogee Rosetta 800->
DP 7.2->
HR824's

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 am

cjogo wrote:With my memory -- I could not operate without the automation > within our DAW. (':o'): ...

Every fader move / comp/eq/sends/ etc. are been automated > down to the master fader ....so recall is up in minutes.
Last edited by cjogo on Thu May 19, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon May 09, 2011 4:08 pm

knobtwirler wrote:Digital cameras were good for some gear, since some assistants didn't really document the setting correctly when they had to draw a line in a knob graphic.
Yeah, most of the time the engineer couldn't get the knob in exactly the same spot from the drawing- or digital- or Polaroid, so instead of recalling anything, just remix it...

See the problem with that logic? You gotta have as starting point.

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 pm

I've tried the digital camera thing using the iPhone camera and find that it's not really ideal for me. Might just be a subpar camera though.

Another good option is to record your outboard gear settings in the Pro Tools sessions (assuming you're using PT) in the notes panel underneath each fader. If you come up with some good shorthand this can be very quick to jot down and recall later. Then I do all automation ITB and keep the faders at 0. Pretty quick and painless.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 19, 2011 7:00 am

At the end of the mix,

I print EVERY SINGLE track with it's effects, except for reverbs / delays or other effects used for the overall mix.

I also make recall sheets, take photos, and note any points worth noting.

Three full sets of backups, in different media each hard drive, Optical disc of some sort like DVD / Blu Ray, and anything else that can last for 30 years or more. Sometimes, if the budget allows, I'll print the tracks to 2" tape, which is still a good backup medium.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu May 19, 2011 9:41 am

We have a separate backup of the midi files -- a DVD and HD backup of the DAW recorded tracks ... all rack units have their presets we log down ... the camera grabs a quick shot of the input settings on the board. We always include a copy of all backups to the client.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......