Akai 1700?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Akai 1700?

Post by ThePitz » Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 am

I just inherited one of these from a friend that's moving across the country.

Everything seems to be spinning like it should - but I have no tape to test it with.

At bare minimum I'd like to get a reel of tape and a take up reel to fit see if it works. All the pictures of five and seven inch reels I find seem like they won't fit on this thing because it has two BIG rubber things to put the reels on.

Maybe this is elementary. I've never messed with tape. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tra la la

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 am

rubber things are probably caps that pull off to hold the tape down after you put the reel on.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Thu May 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Right you are! Much appreciated. Elementary indeed.
tra la la

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu May 05, 2011 4:44 pm

enjoy the deck. cheers, Donny
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Chaconne
pluggin' in mics

Post by Chaconne » Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 pm

I got one of these from ebay during a bit of a tape obsession phase - i was intrigued because it is all valve.

It needed a lot of cleaning, they are old machines. Make sure the heads are spotless. Also get a good reel as little used as you can of the best domestic tape, memorex or TDK.

The response characteristics are not good, starts droping off at 80Hz I think, the next models 1710, 1720 etc are much improved - but Beatles, Kinks and Byrds records sound great on it.

A lot of people used these decks for distortion and I have to say - if it is in good conditoin - the valve amp is excellent and can produce amazing distortion - certainly up there with any boutique amp.
I keep wanting to ditch it because it is so heavey, but I love the amp. I guess i could just take it out like others do with early Roberts decks, but then I would have to take apart the coolest period ghetto blaster!

Hope it works!