which mic was used on the philip glass documentary?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

which mic was used on the philip glass documentary?

Post by versuviusx » Wed May 11, 2011 10:46 pm

hi i recently saw the philip glass documentary on netflix. if you havent seen it...watch it. its under instant play and i have always love his music. the documentary is called A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dVNwmj11bk
there is a scene with his wife near the end of the movie and it shows a mic. i want to know which mic were they using. i love the audio in the film. its very clear and crisp. currently i'm getting more into video and would love to know which mic they are using on the boom.
if you know or have an idea. please post. always love researching this kind of stuff.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed May 11, 2011 11:01 pm

amazing movie and artist.

no idea on the mic, sorry.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu May 12, 2011 7:58 am

The only mic I saw in this clip was a brief flash of an AKG 414EB being put on a stand at a concert around 1:40. Is that what you were trying to identify, or was there another?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 12, 2011 8:08 am

Perhaps not germain at all (haven't seen the clip or film), but bear in mind that live concert and studio sound is often recorded/reinforced with different gear than is used for the audio soundtrack on the film.

If you caught an overhead boom mike though...

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: which mic was used on the philip glass documentary?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 12, 2011 8:19 am

versuviusx wrote:hi i recently saw the philip glass documentary on netflix. if you havent seen it...watch it. its under instant play and i have always love his music. the documentary is called A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dVNwmj11bk
there is a scene with his wife near the end of the movie and it shows a mic. i want to know which mic were they using. i love the audio in the film. its very clear and crisp. currently i'm getting more into video and would love to know which mic they are using on the boom.
if you know or have an idea. please post. always love researching this kind of stuff.
It would help immensely, if you put video actually containing the scene with the microphone in question.

Nice preview... but I did not see a scene with a wife and a mic, only an AKG 414 in a concert hall, in the middle, not at the end.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 am

you will have to see the full movie on netflix. the scene is at the end with his wife. they are doing an interview with his wife and she is talking about how her marriage is falling apart. then philip comes into the room to ask her what her password is for her computer and then the camera raises up and then you see the actual boom mic that is capturing the audio for her voice.
it has a windscreen on it.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 pm

versuviusx wrote:...then the camera raises up and then you see the actual boom mic that is capturing the audio for her voice.
Well that's gonna make it a little more difficult. :wink:

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

versuviusx wrote:you will have to see the full movie on netflix. the scene is at the end with his wife. they are doing an interview with his wife and she is talking about how her marriage is falling apart. then philip comes into the room to ask her what her password is for her computer and then the camera raises up and then you see the actual boom mic that is capturing the audio for her voice.
So,

1.- We have to rent the movie on NetFlix, and watch the whole thing.
2.- When we do get to the scene, we have to watch closely to identify an unknown microphone for you.
3.- The microphone is covered by a windscreen... is it completely covered, or partially covered? This affects the payment, detailed below.

4.- For our efforts, do we get a cookie? If the mic is completely covered and I get the answer right, do I get double pay?

I will now remind you of your original post, in which you last sentence was the following:

"if you know or have an idea. please post. always love researching this kind of stuff."

Wait one minute...
Do YOU love doing the research, or do you think coming here and asking us to do your research for you, is what you love to do?
I am confused, and now want not only a large chocolate chip cookie, but also a tall glass of milk to go with the cookie. And this I want prepaid before I go doing any research for you.
Because I Love cookies.
Research, unpaid, for other people, not so much...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.