SSL/Pro Tools machine control

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

SSL/Pro Tools machine control

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 18, 2011 9:18 am

What are you SSL guys using for transport/machine control of Pro Tools?

This Alan Smart box seems to solve the issue for older SSLs. Looks like it supplants the necessity for the 'old school' lynx units for tape machine control.

http://www.smartresearch.co.uk/2Tools/index2T.html

The K-Series seems to remedy the problem within it's computer system, but what about J-Series boards?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu May 19, 2011 12:55 am

What's the issue you're having? Are you trying to connect them with an old printer cable?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 19, 2011 8:34 am

leigh wrote:What's the issue you're having? Are you trying to connect them with an old printer cable?
No issue. I'm configuring a set-up for a new studio and budgeting accordingly. Back in the old days, two Studer tape machines ran with respective Lynx modules with Timecode being fed to the SSL for syncing automation from the master tape machine. The SSL had complete transport control of the machines.

The SSL J-Series and K-Series boards seem to take care of this on their own and also offer Pro Tools transport control.

For an older SSL like a G-Series, Alan Smart makes the 2Tools which allows for transport control of Pro Tools, but I don't know if this box also takes care of tape machine transport control- or if a Lynx module would still be necessary.

I just got an e-mail from Bruce Millet and it appears the Desk Doctor has devised a box called the ZX which does what the Smart box does and more. Both Bruce and Alan Smart are former SSL guys, so I'm sure both would work.

This studio will be using a CLASP system with a Studer A-827 combined with an HD3 Pro Tools set-up.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Considering how many responses this thread has gotten, it speaks loads as to the level of experience of the people reading this messageboard...where are all the SSL guys?

mu-tron-kid
audio school

Post by mu-tron-kid » Fri May 27, 2011 6:28 am

If the setup is based on using the Studer with CLASP, then the tape machine will be "invisible" to the console, running in the background in conjunction with Pro Tools.
So, this would leave the consoles machine control to only control Pro Tools.
The Desk doctor system would do this, but in the end, all you gain is the transport buttons on the board. A wireless Apple Kayboard (full keyboard with white chiclets) stationed on the board or nearby is way more useful.
The Ultimation on the SSL will follow Pro Tools simply by getting timecode from PT to the Console, and setting up the ssl computer with a couple tweaks.

it is actually way more responsive to jumping to Pro Tools markers, and FF / REW functions on the Pro Tools Numeric Keypad then if you set it up for the SSL to try and send commands to Pro Tools via Mahcine Control.

If your hopes were to have the Track arming functionality on the board talk to Pro Tools and then in turn talk to the CLASP, then I think you could have a mountain of testing ahead of you.

Considering most of the editing and new tracks and I / O is based within Pro Tools, I can't imagine you would not have a keyboard and monitor for Pro Tools somewhere near the sweet spot of the console, so then it just becomes second nature to NOT jump through the hoops to do this work on the console.

the extra typed in commands on the G Series Computer to attempt to tell it to go to a mix cue position is easily three times as long as it is to locate a marker in Pro Tools. Why do this work twice, just to be able to use the clunky ol SSL Computer?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri May 27, 2011 7:30 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Considering how many responses this thread has gotten, it speaks loads as to the level of experience of the people reading this messageboard...where are all the SSL guys?
What credits do you have on records that involved an SSL in the last 5 years, asshole?

I also like how you got schooled on the pro gear you're daydreaming about right after making this asshole comment.