Propellerheads Record

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:21 pm

getting an imac ? dont forget logic express 9 or logic studio 9 is mac , also reaper works on mac too , so you might be fine with what you got.
is it beer 30 yet?????

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Already have both the iMac and record.

No, there's no punch-in at all. Some people have figured out how to use the sustain pedal on a controller keyboard as a manual punch, but then of course you lose the use of, you know, sustain. And there is no solution for auto punch.

I've been working around it, though, by changing my workflow. There is a "dub" button that will make a new track with the same settings, etc. as the previous, and this is a quick way of picking up where you left off. And the comp mode is simply marvelous for bass and vocal takes.

This omission is all over the forums--they know people want it. I can only hope and assume they will include it in Record 2.

The fake SSL mixer is actually quite amazing. It sounds great, especially the master bus comp. I like the plate and room sends too, very much. Here's a quickie-mix track I just finished.

http://www.inverseroom.com/music/I'm%20Dead.mp3

Forgive the hiccupy drums, that is being fixed.

Overall, a bit frustrated, but nevertheless charmed. It's a keeper.

DCrippa
ass engineer

Post by DCrippa » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 am

Cool track - So I haven't had the chance to mess with it yet - but have you seen if it's possible to just automate the punch in on a dedicated track for it?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:57 am

inverseroom wrote:Already have both the iMac and record.

The fake SSL mixer is actually quite amazing. It sounds great, especially the master bus comp. I like the plate and room sends too, very much. Here's a quickie-mix track I just finished.

http://www.inverseroom.com/music/I'm%20Dead.mp3

Forgive the hiccupy drums, that is being fixed.

Overall, a bit frustrated, but nevertheless charmed. It's a keeper.
I've noticed a kind of odd fuzzy sound about it. This sounds totally weird but I swear, on the first remix (on number 2 now) I did in Record in standalone mode I bounced the individual tracks and imported them into Pro Tools for mixing and the fuzziness went away. Something about what's happening to audio being monitored I guess.

I really like the time stretching and block workflow, as well as using the
combinator to create unique effects. But not really into it for actual mixing.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:00 am

DCrippa wrote:Cool track - So I haven't had the chance to mess with it yet - but have you seen if it's possible to just automate the punch in on a dedicated track for it?
That's a clever idea--hadn't thought of it. Yeah, you could probably set up an automation track to turn record on or off at specific times, using CC data. A bit of a PITA, though.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 am

inverseroom wrote:How can a fucking DAW not have auto punch? It did not occur to me that this was even possible.
[LIKE!]

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Propellerheads have decided to scrap Record and move all its functions into Reason 6, due out September 30, 2011.

The new Alligator gate, The Echo delay, and Pulveriser comp/filter/distortion look pretty cool.

With all the focus on audio features in the last couple years I hope they offer some new instruments soon.

Only real bummer is that they're moving to the Ignition Key/online-reg-per-session copy protection. Reason has been dongle-free until now.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Wubbeneezer Garibaldi wrote:Propellerheads have decided to scrap Record and move all its functions into Reason 6, due out September 30, 2011.

The new Alligator gate, The Echo delay, and Pulveriser comp/filter/distortion look pretty cool.

With all the focus on audio features in the last couple years I hope they offer some new instruments soon.

Only real bummer is that they're moving to the Ignition Key/online-reg-per-session copy protection. Reason has been dongle-free until now.
Yes I'm a beta tester for it. Not much amazing but Reason and Record combined...which if you owned them both you could do already. So more accurately it's that they scrapped Reason and put it's features into Record AGAIN, with a few new plugins and called it an update. :-/

Also the Ignition Key is not what I would call a bummer. I mean many people that don't pay for the software anyway like to whine about copy protection but there is a large group of thieves that have made this practice necessary in order for companies to still produce software and make money. The ignition key is absolutely painless and works very well. Keep in mind that in the intended market of Reason there is a very small percentage of ilok users so in this case if they did not include an ilok in the box then there would be an issue of customer confusion and dissatisfaction (aka people buying it then getting home and realizing they need another thing to make it work) not to mention licensing fees. By using their own key then the customer keeps their licenses managed with Propellerhead (which is super convenient for the beta...you have to be a registered owner to beta) and the costs are down. There was a time (1.0?) when Reason required the CD to be in a drive at all times. Now THAT is annoying.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:25 am

I wonder if reason 6 will have punch in and out ??
is it beer 30 yet?????

Hide
audio school

Post by Hide » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:00 am

fedexnman wrote:I wonder if reason 6 will have punch in and out ??
Unfortunately... I don't think so... X(
Well, my recently tracks are made on Reason/Record only. :)
Actually I was user of Cubase, Logic Pro, Digital Performer and Live.
Then I use ONLY Reason/Record now.

Thanks!

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:20 pm

For people who currently own Reason & Record, Reason 6 will be a pay what you want upgrade from September 30-October 31.