Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Waves : Kramer MPX tape emulator.

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 pm

I got it today...

So far it is interesting.
It sounds too "tapey", but this was the default setting, which has some knobs at the 100% setting.
Will experiment more next week. With and without the HEAT from Pro Tools.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Sat May 28, 2011 8:26 am

Yeah, I got it too. It's the only plugin I've ever heard that IMVHO actually sounds like tape. Now back to abusing it...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat May 28, 2011 9:54 am

Dang! At $99, it'd have to be pretty useless to not be worth it!
Can't wait to check it out!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Me likey as a "mixdown" effect.

I'm learning how to hit it just right, so it does NOT saturate, just like in the old days where I used to avoid distortion on the Master tape at all costs.
It's a bit tricky, but doable.
And I have use the 7ips setting on one song, which really benefitted from the bigger low end, and less top end.
I can see though how anyone who has not used tape much, if at all, might totally overdo it and distort their audio.
My "trick" is to mix without it until I am ready to "print" a near final mix, then I insert it on the master channel, and do an overall volume adjustment to the whole mix until it sounds "right" going thru this plug in. Afterwards I do some final balance adjustments to a few instruments that get unbalanced by the plug in, like bass and some guitars, top endy stuff. the middle does well with this plug.
It has helped a couple of mixes, in getting an interesting texture on them.

Cheers

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 am

I just picked this up as well. I agree 100% with Nick, that if someone doesn't, for example understand what a reasonable level of magnetic flux is through an real tape head is, that they will over do it, and may not be too happy with the results.

Overall, it does a really nice job of adding some nice analog-type flavor.
I enjoyed the results fo sticking it on the master, as well as throwing it on a snare, drum overhead, or bass. Though I was just dicking around, I liked what I was hearing. For $99, I would say it's worth it, all day.

Anyone want to comment on how close it comes to an actual Ampex 440? I've never used one, but am curious.

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:46 pm

About to check it out this week. Just upgraded Mercury to 8. So we will se what it does. Looks interesting. Might be fun.
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 pm

EarlSlick wrote:I just picked this up as well. I agree 100% with Nick, that if someone doesn't, for example understand what a reasonable level of magnetic flux is through an real tape head is, that they will over do it, and may not be too happy with the results.

Overall, it does a really nice job of adding some nice analog-type flavor.
I enjoyed the results fo sticking it on the master, as well as throwing it on a snare, drum overhead, or bass. Though I was just dicking around, I liked what I was hearing. For $99, I would say it's worth it, all day.

Anyone want to comment on how close it comes to an actual Ampex 440? I've never used one, but am curious.
I have a friend who has one in his studio, and I have mixed onto it.

This plug in seems to overdrive a little sooner than the real thing... but that is my memory talking, so take it with a grain of sea salt.

I like it better than the Digi Reel Tape Suite for a mix buss, but, as with all plug ins, they have a use for certain mixes. I won't use it on al the record I am mixing now, unless it ends up really making a good enough difference to warrant using it as a "master deck".
I still have to compare with / without this plug in being used on the same songs, and listen and compare and contrast.

Cheers

Bob Olhsson
audio school graduate

Post by Bob Olhsson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
EarlSlick wrote:...This plug in seems to overdrive a little sooner than the real thing... but that is my memory talking, so take it with a grain of sea salt...
Yes it does! It's a good idea to make sure the signal going into the plug isn't too hot. Tube line stages saturate very gradually and clip at higher levels than solid state devices. One would normally never come closer than 10 dB of clipping. That curve was matched very closely but the average signal reaching the plug should be no higher than -18 RMS and I like -20 or even -22. Then you use the liinked gain controls to find the sweet spot.
Bob Olhsson
Bob's workroom 615 562-4346

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mixwell » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:15 pm

Yup, keep your levels low.....

Sounding good over here, keeping a judicious amount of headroom everywhere.
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 am

I've been digging on it. I usually have it around -5 to 0 on the input with flux around 185. Sometimes on bass I'll crank it up, especially on DI stuff, to give it a little futz. I think it's fun. The delay feature sounds good, it was cool of them to add that on.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 am

Yeah, for a $99 it's nice deal. Probably nothing like real thing, but worth to check out.
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:08 am

I have been using on individual tracks. Does some interesting things. I like it more often then not.

Have yet to make the mix bus work for me though. Not digging it there. But just me.
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Have any of you tried using it as a delay line? I am just about to pull the trigger on the Massey TD5, but for an extra $20 this seems very interesting. Plus if I read the info correctly it has wow & flutter settings which the Massey doesn't.

Edit - Reading the info on the Waves page more thoroughly it appears that the delay times are not adjustable, so nevermind...

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Delay times are adjustable up to (if memory serves) around 600ms but there's no wet/dry feature so it's no good as a send effect. The delay sounds great and you can pick between feedback and slap. This is easily one of my favourite plugins ever.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 pm

This plugin seems to excel at taming the transients of individual drum tracks. I have been using it on most of my drum tracks during the mix and it's been a real help.