What else would cause dropouts with a Tango 24?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

agauchede
gettin' sounds

What else would cause dropouts with a Tango 24?

Post by agauchede » Sat May 28, 2011 9:31 am

I recently acquired a Tango 24 to use with my 002r. I have no problems recording with the Tango as master and computer slaved to ADAT. However, when I try to mix this way I get dropouts, i.e., conversion happening in bothe directions. Switching the computer to master and the Tango to slave results in pops and clicks.

Assuming that the cables are good (both relatively new Hosa brand but not the cheaper black ones) and the clocks are set properly between the Tango and the computer, what else might cause this? Has anyone else experienced this with their converters and discovered a solution. Do I need better cables?

Thanks all,
Chris

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Sun May 29, 2011 8:11 am

When you say "computer" do you meen the 002R; and you have it set up in Protools to use the ADAT input as the clock? If so, not sure what the problems could be.

I have an 002R, Apogee Minime, and Tango 24. The way I"m set up, the spdif output from the Minime acts as the master clock. The 002R is setup in Protools to get its clock signal from the spdif input. The Tango is then setup in to get its signal from its ADAT input. It all works fine with no drop outs, pops or clicks.

I did have a couple issues early on with ADAT cables. My experience is the "high end" cables are kind of clunky and cause the connectors to lose contact. I've had better success with the very thin, generic ADAT cables.

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks, Al_Huero.

I think the only possible explanation is cables. I'm getting new ones to swap out; hopefully that takes care of the problem!

Chris