Help!! getting into the world of analog tape

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Help!! getting into the world of analog tape

Post by GoatKnuckles » Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 pm

So I just stumbled into this awesome little mono tape machine a Concord 220 transistorized made by panasonic in the 60's. Seems cool and everything seems to run okay but I don't currently have tape and was looking for suggestions on what to get. This is my first time working with anything other than a cassette four track. Also it didn't come with any reels for threading the tape around (take up reels?) , will I get these with the tapes? I realize this sounds dumb its just new to me. Thanks in advance for any info. Also if anyone else knows anything particularly cool about this machine feel free to share it here.
GYM CLASS HEROES/LADYBIRDS INC.
for Session Work on Keyboards/Programming/Guitar/Bass

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:19 am

Anyone? I've been scouring the internet trying to find info but its been rather limited, can't seem to track down a PDF manual. I saw another picture that had a blank reel on the recorder and it looked smaller than the standard 7" size.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:42 am

Hi,

I'm not familiar with your machine, but the standards for reels (has been for a long time) are 7" and 10 1/2"... That being said, I've seen (and I think I owned?) a couple smaller reels like you're describing; they were for very small amounts of tape, and may be came from a Dictaphone or something.

In any case, as long as you have the clearance (not an odd-size or metric machine or something), 7" reels should be fine. If the machine didn't have any take-up reels, you'll need to get some and they are still around.

So, do you know if your machine is a full-track mono? What will you do with it? Could be cool for tape effects, or for tape-loop type stuff...

GJ

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:46 am

without being familiar with that specific machine, most home-type units from the '60s used a low-output tape, such as Scotch 111. your machine was likely designed around that tape and quite possibly has no ability to bias properly to other tapes. so, if i wanted to use that machine, i would go on eBay and pick up some old Scotch 111, or better yet, Scotch 111AM or 112, which are the 2 names they used for the polyester version of 111 (111 is acetate and subject to a type of progressive deterioration known as "vinegar syndrome") on whatever size reels the thing was designed for, usually either 7" or 5", in some cases 3". you're in luck because Scotch 111 was standard tape from 1949-1973 or so and is quite easy to find cheap. i would certainly use 111 without hesitation -- despite the vinegar issue, it is quite frankly the most durable and long-lasting tape ever manufactured and it always sounds great.

i found someone selling your machine on eBay, and it looks like it might take 3" reels. that thing is gonna run on a super low speed, 3 3/4 ips if you're lucky. try it out but you can do much better!

my friend, you are in luck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-8-Blank-Scotch- ... 5d2f015557

oh, and even if your deck was designed for 5" reels, you can still put the smaller 3" reels on.
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:58 am

OK, yeah, I just saw a picture of your machine with the little reel. No problem; you want 7" reels...

It says it has three speeds. This looks like a 1960's consumer model, so I'm guessing 1& 7/8, 3 & 3/4, and 7 & 1/2 IPS. You'll usually want to record at the fastest speed (7 & 1/2) to get the highest quality you can get (which unfortunately uses more tape).

While pro machines run at 15 and 30 IPS, you might still get some decent mono recordings. I used to record a lot at 7 & 1/2, and if you have a full-track mono, then the track width should be pretty significant, which will help with fidelity.

If you're into samples and stuff, you might get some really cool gritty drums and percussion to work with. Also, if you're not hip to tape editing (razor blade) and making tape loops, you should look into it, because you could do some cool stuff. And, it's fun and tactile too! But forget the "undo" button, you are now in the world of "wholly destructive" editing. If it's omething you want to try, you'll need some blades, an editing block, and a grease pencil or two.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:00 am

OK, didn't see Donny's post. You might need smaller reels, but I think you can still use 7's...

GJ

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:17 am

yeh, it's hard to tell, hopefully it takes 7" reels and runs 7.5 ips, lots more flexibility. i also found a few different "concord 220" photos, some look much larger than others. send us some pictures of yours.

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:36 am

ah yeh, gregg is right on ... don't let anyone tell you that you can't do all kinds of cool stuff on that thing. it might sound great, or it might sound like shit, but it could be the exact shit that you're looking for.

GoatKnuckles
gettin' sounds

Post by GoatKnuckles » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not planning on using this for any high fidelity recording or anything like that. More of an effect kinda thing and depending how the tube input on it sounds possibly a preamp but who knows. the machine runs its fastest at 7.5 ips. I just figured it would be a good cheap way to get a feel for tape before buying something nicer.

JeffT
ass engineer

Post by JeffT » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:06 am

u can also try contacting JRF Magnetics http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/

no matter which deck you have they should have the Op manual for it. plus tape and spare reels...
Jeff Thompson

cbastudioconsultants
Soundtrack NY
Prime Cuts Editing NYC