Bogus claims Re: OTB summing from Black Lion

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:35 pm

fwiw, every time i've compared an ITB bounce with the original multitrack mix, and i've done it a bunch, it's nulled absolutely 100%. this is in wavelab. the only time it should be different is if you're running time-based stuff like reverbs and delays. and/or if you're dithering, as jhharvest said. i bounce everything at 32 bit float, so it nulls down to -144.

thus my conclusion that digital summing, at least in wavelab, is Perfectly Fine.

very interesting thread. the response, or lack thereof, from BLA strikes me as very odd.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:38 pm

KennyLusk wrote:Everything I've said has been pretty straight forward.
Yes. Annoyingly black and white and ignorant of nuance. Watching you argue semantics is fatiguing.

Whether or not those kind of DSP clocking errors exist is beside the point. The point is, nobody mixing ITB ever has to worry about these errors. It's a problem that doesn't exist for recordists. And, further, if it did, then the product that they're advertising doesn't do anything to address it.

It's not as simple as you're trying to make it. Even if an attorney could prove that what they printed is technically accurate, that doesn't make it any less shady for them to let some confusing terms, which have other MUCH MORE COMMON meanings in the audio world, slide into some ad copy.

It just blows my mind to consider that they could have possibly intended to express the idea that DSP clocking errors are a serious issue for users of DAWs and that their product would adequately address them.

Some bullshit seems to have gotten into their ad. And, they're now being stubborn about it.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:57 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
Yes. Annoyingly black and white and ignorant of nuance. Watching you argue semantics is fatiguing.

Whether or not those kind of DSP clocking errors exist is beside the point.
The last thing I want is to fatigue you my friend, so I won't.

Seems to me though that the whole point of the OP posting this thread was that DSP clocking errors do not exist. Yet they do, especially in a computer that has not been optimized for audio processing. I'm just sayin'...

Anyway, I'll just simply bow out of the conversation. No big deal.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:40 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
Unnecessary and harsh. Your argument stands without the insults.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:02 pm

KennyLusk wrote:Seems to me though that the whole point of the OP posting this thread was that DSP clocking errors do not exist. Yet they do, especially in a computer that has not been optimized for audio processing.
Please explain.

Did you see my reponse to you, near the bottom of the previous page of this thread? Your only example of "DSP clocking errors" was in the case of a poorly-programmed system.

Unless you have some new proof of DSP clocking errors, you haven't proved that they exist on any kind of well-designed system.

And also please explain what you would do to a computer to "optimize it for audio processing".

Leigh

enginerd
audio school

Curious

Post by enginerd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Hey Leigh, speaking of being a sore loser, what is your perfect operating system? Which DAW do you currently own?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: Curious

Post by leigh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:03 pm

enginerd wrote:Hey Leigh, speaking of being a sore loser, what is your perfect operating system? Which DAW do you currently own?
Uh, yeah... check your PM and then get back to me.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:20 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Okay, everyone.
Thank you for your input.
*ahem*

enginerd
audio school

you didn't answer the question

Post by enginerd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Leigh, thanks for the Obama birth certificate. Can you personally prove that you are void of these DSP errors? I am super intrigued by the actual scientists on this forum who have actually tried to prove the error, in favor of either side, at this point you are full of as much shit as BLA if you can't prove your argument.

and you for sure never answered my question. Some of us want to know, What is your perfect operating system? and what is your DAW? You slammed BLA for not answering your question.

I use a an Intel iMac, I am convinced mine is not perfect. But that's just me.

Please, PUT UP OR SHUT UP. Don't PM me, you are trying to publicly hose BLA, I don't know why, you have denied some great arguments from the obvious real geniuses on this forum (not you or me).

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:38 pm

wow you are really angry. can i get you a cup of decaf?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: you didn't answer the question

Post by leigh » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:01 pm

enginerd wrote:Please, PUT UP OR SHUT UP.
I have put up many valid arguments that you have chosen to overlook. I'd be happy to get back to those.

What I don't understand is the personal attacks, and you hiding behind a pseudonym on this board. If your arguments are valid they can stand on their own.

You are not from California. Your IP address, gathered from when you clicked on that Obama link, is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The geolocation site I just checked puts that address in Chicago, IL. Roughly near the corner of XXXXX streets.

In other words, within a couple miles of Black Lion Audio headquarters.

BUSTED.

Now, when you are ready to talk about the actual matter at hand, and will honestly identify yourself, I'll be here.

Leigh

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Ha, ha, ha. Holy shit. I learned a lot in this thread.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

enginerd
audio school

Flattered

Post by enginerd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Hey, I am flattered if you think I am BLA with your silly tricks, Just another satisfied BLA customer, as I have previously stated. If I am BLA, they should close up shop. I am just another starving musician.

My heart and my home is in California. No doubt. My studio (home based) is in California.

So back to my points, what is your operating system? I know I am an antagonist on this, but I want to know. Why are you so afraid to answer the damn question? I really want to believe you are an expert on DSP errors, or at least free from them. I appreciate that you are creative in all the wrong ways, trying to prove I work for BLA (laugh laugh). But I am a satisfied customer, and that is why I am arguing in defense of my friends. I love what I've heard in the PM8, and I love that it makes my mixes fatter. I think that is all BLA is trying to say. The DSP error thing is above my head, maybe even yours. BLA sounds like they are standing behind their words, or else their website would have changed.

So again, PUT UP OR SHUT UP, that is what is BUSTED

Oh yeah, FUCK OFF

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Okay. enough.

IP removed.

Thanks.