Photo album. Enjoy.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:09 am

FRIZEYED wrote:any idea when you go operational, or is it still too soon to tell?
We most certainly have set a date.
before AES in NYC this year, which is in october.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:15 am

word up.

let's rent a food cart and have a bunker/g food cart. i wonder if we can get one with an oven so i can bring my stone and rock some pizzas...

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:12 am

This looks incredible! It looks like you guys are doing a really great job! I'm psyched to see how it turns out!

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:32 am

Yeah! TOMB open house!

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Am I the only one not able to see the pics?

I can see John's photos in the Bunker 2.0 thread, and they're on facebook.

Maybe a better question is: Am I the only person who has deleted their facebook account?

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Nate Dort wrote:Am I the only one not able to see the pics?

I can see John's photos in the Bunker 2.0 thread, and they're on facebook.

Maybe a better question is: Am I the only person who has deleted their facebook account?
I am also a non Facebook user and the photo's worked for me. I was surprised because in the past I've tried to look at facebook events and they never work.

AND as I typed that I just realized why, because my girlfriend left her facebook signed in on my computer. DUH.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:50 am

I made that album completely open to the public in the prefs....
it should be viewable by all.
More pics up in the "mobile uploads" these days than in the actual album...

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 am

What are the odds that the new Bunker, G, and Strange Weather could open around the same time?

Man, Brooklyn's studio scene is cooler than most cities' right now.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:03 pm

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 7837e6b1f6

Here are more shots. The mobile uploads pages grow faster because they are all iphone shots.... happening daily from the site...
Just friend me if you cant see the pictures!!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:00 pm

And even more. If anyone has questions about what the hell we are doing, then please feel free. It really is amazing to see my design take shape and actually have the intent read well even just in the framing stage. Glad. about. THAT.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 7837e6b1f6

Enjoy.
I update the "mobile uploads" stuff from on site...

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm

"custom built for joel hamilton"... too cool

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 pm

FRIZEYED wrote:"custom built for joel hamilton"... too cool
on the summing section for my neve by Westrek... that thing is awesome.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 am

joel on facebook wrote:I want to build a house now, it would be simple compared to this....really.
i thought the exact same thing when i built my new room.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:37 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
joel on facebook wrote:I want to build a house now, it would be simple compared to this....really.
i thought the exact same thing when i built my new room.
It would be way easier to keep birds out than drums....

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:53 am

Measuring out the whole space for HVAC on saturday went really well. it is a MASSIVE install. our total space is gigantic, at 5000 sq ft and a ceiling that goes from 15 feet down to 12 across a 100 foot depth of the room.... lots of feet in there....

Anyway, the HVAC setup is something I really wanted to be efficient, beyond the already ridiculous list of criteria that studio HVAC needs to meet. SO,
we specified a separate compressor for each area: Live room A, COntrol A, Live B, Control B, studio C (open floor plan) and common will share a compressor.
The air handlers are also separate, and live in the dedicated machine room for each room, besides the "C" and common lounge space handler, which will live in an "attic" above the common area bathrooms. The advantage is simple: we are not bolting a 747 motor size compressor to the roof that we then have to isolate from below, and when we are mixing (or tracking in cooler weather) only one small compressor will cycle based on the thermostat position in the control rooms. We also have electric dampers that allow for drawing outside air in the winter for "free AC" in january....

All of our air conditioning will be on dedicated 220v lines, specifically run to the units. The rest of our power for all audio equipment and outlets in the live room will be run after a giant transformer is placed on a cement slab downstairs in our sidewalk level foyer, next to the cast spiral staircase you can see in the pictures.

This consumption will be offset by solar panels we will be implementing as soon as we can on the roof. We have a 5000 sq ft roof that we have painted with roof silver, and it made our space MUCH more efficient already, but now we will be specifying what we hope will be an "energy neutral" equation, based on our draw. There will be no battery storage or any provision to run fully off of solar, but there will be panels and an inverter that essentially just "fight the meter" all day, and hopefully spin it backwards a bit in the morning before we get there. (wishful).

The amount of insulation we have brought in is actually WAY more than was originally planned, because the plan did not accommodate for the pre-existing structure to be insulated, but we did it anyway, for keeping street noise, airplane noise, and general NYC noise out of our space, including common areas. This has the added benefit of increasing HVAC efficiency and even keeping outside noise out of the ductwork where it runs outside or above the float ceiling.

Making electrical punchlist/wishlist today along with letting in Jeff DelBello to install the custom Neve summing section into my console at the existing studio.... days are full of wonder...

Hopefully stopping by the bunker today to say hi and check out their progress. We have been helping each other in certain ways that are really valuable... even just blowing off steam and laughing about the ridiculous situations that come with building a large scale facility....