Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Photo album. Enjoy.

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:23 pm

I made this album on Facebook open to all:

http://on.fb.me/misYPZ

Check it out. some detail shots of certain aspects of a build out.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 am

Great pics! Thanks Joel!

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:11 am

WOW. I'd hate to even contemplate what a budget for something like this would be. Very ambitious, to say the least.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Question re: your floor construction. I see how the individual rooms will all be built on independent floating floors. So, for each floated floor, there's a 2x4 frame, sand, plastic, insulation, mdf, sheetrock, plywood. Where's the neoprene? Is it used to decouple your frame from the subfloor? How much is used? Sheets or strips or what?

Also, I'm getting ahead of things here.... but, how do you decouple the floating floors from the walls between them? Just leave a gap?

I'm super excited to see all of this stuff! I'll probably be doing a similar buildout next year. This is incredibly fascinating!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:05 pm

I think I figured out the wall thing just by staring at the pics for a few minutes. ;)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I think I figured out the wall thing just by staring at the pics for a few minutes. ;)
Thats how I designed the whole place! ;)

Lets make a distinction here:
SHELL WALL touches existing structure.
FLOAT WALL does not touch anything.

The Floats are up on 1/4" neoprene. The sand is not for the float, it is mass to reduce crosstalk between rooms. It damps the existing floor, as we are not on a slab, and chose not to pour a 2 " slab in the space.
R11 fiberglass, paper faced insulation is used in the joists, above the sand.
Basically, the float is a "bridge" over the sand/exisiting floor, suspended by neoprene.
Neoprene retains its isolating qualities even under a lot of compression. rubber becomes ROCK under that much compression.
Then the deck of the float is 5/8" MDF, then 5/8" sheetrock, then 5/8" plywood, with Parquet flooring being installed pretty much throughout.
This is a three room facility, with a 5000 sq ft existing structure that was a carriage house for a bakery built around 1898/1900.

Anyway...
The Float walls are built up on those decks, and the shell walls are built on the existing floor. all sheet stock is 5/8" so assume it when I say things like:
The shell wall carries 2 layers of sheetrock throughout the facility. The float walls carry 3 layers of sheetrock in the live rooms, and 2 layers in the control rooms.

The airspace between the shell and the float walls varies throughout the facility based on multiple factors, but will never be less than 2" at any given point.

The shell wall puts the floats/studios in their own bulding, essentially, and then the float walls comprise the rooms and studio spaces you want. Thats the easy way to think of it, and then mire yourself down in the STC/transmission loss/Surface density equations in the Handbook for Sound engineers later when you want to have multiple anxiety attacks at 3am on a tuesday night before you place a 5 figure order for materials with a crane truck and a flag man and a cew of workers coming in. ... just sayin... ;)

There are certain details that were specified by the architect, after he and I went over the design I had in mind, and they are specific to the space I am in.
It is not unlike mixing... i know a lot of guys that get great sounds and cant define the "knee" of a compressor.... its irrelevant if you are using the device to make good mixes.

Same deal here: specify the right stuff based on proven methods, and you really dont have to be able to do the math to calculate the surface density of the materials you are hanging between yourself and a wide open 8x10" SVT rig.

The design is more imortant anyway.... if you have two live rooms for two studios built right up against each other: yes you will need lead, cement, airlocks, rubber, cork, springs, denim, 703, 4 million layers of brick and drywall, and a a prayer service in your name.

If you just put the control rooms closest to each other, with the live rooms as far away from each other in the space: it all becomes simpler again, and the fact that you have two studios (three in our case) under one roof can be boiled down to one word: expensive... :wink: :roll: :cry: :wink:
no:
Design.
Make it smart. Make it right, and it will work for you every day.
I designed this place based on experience. What I did or didnt like about the studios I have worked in over the years.
People who know those studios will probably see parallels... maybe not.
It is a unique space, with a character that suits the people who will be working in there: me and Tony Maimone.
This is not a public space, so we can do whatever we want, and what we want is to work every day in a monument to sticking with our dream, learning by experience, and saving up enough money making music to realize that dream.
I have been physically hauling in every single piece of material that comes in through a giant window on a crane, and we all have been working our asses off with the GC to make this work. there is pride in how we got here in every single board in the place.
Thats the most important thing to us. The place has actual soul.
We are even building pictures, of friends and family no longer on this earth and not around to share in this adventure, into the walls and floors and all around us.
We will know they are there.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 am

amazing pics. that place is gonna be incredible.

how's your back?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:04 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:amazing pics. that place is gonna be incredible.

how's your back?
My back is fine. My knee is fucked up right now but not from this... wearing a brace and limping = awesome on a construcytion site....

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:06 pm

That's going to be a kickin' place to work/play!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm

More pics added today.

sparkyness
audio school graduate

Post by sparkyness » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:39 am

Wow....just wow.....looks like it will be an inspiring joint to say the least.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:02 pm

it's gonna be amazing... was over there the other day as the b room float was being framed. they are doing it right and it will rule.

gonna go see it with some walls framed up!

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 am

it looks amazing. cant wait for more pics!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:39 pm

FRIZEYED wrote:it looks amazing. cant wait for more pics!
Just added more.
Forgot to get a picture of John in there!!!!!!
Next time, man.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:05 am

any idea when you go operational, or is it still too soon to tell?