Waves plugin bundle?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chrisjnorwood
audio school graduate

Waves plugin bundle?

Post by chrisjnorwood » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 pm

I just got the entire Waves plugin bundle. Does anyone have recommendations for plugins, applications, settings, etc?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Wow, that must have been expensive!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Waves plugin bundle?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:14 pm

chrisjnorwood wrote:I just got the entire Waves plugin bundle. Does anyone have recommendations for plugins, applications, settings, etc?
What do you do, audio wise?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

chrisjnorwood
audio school graduate

Post by chrisjnorwood » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Well it looks like I spoke too soon. Nothings been purchased yet. The studio I work for is taking requests. It probably won't be the entire bundle. I work for a music production studio. I compose and record music for TV and film. Which ones should I look at getting?

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:36 pm

I would convince them to get at least the diamond. This would give the studio some noise reduction along with some other useful plug ins for post work. Also some good ones for music. I worked with the diamond for a few years until I got the Mercury this year. The only extra plugs I use beyond the diamond at this point are the Studio Classics.

Good luck on getting the purchase done.
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

chrisjnorwood
audio school graduate

Post by chrisjnorwood » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks! What are the best uses and applications of the plugins in the diamond bundle?

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 pm

chrisjnorwood wrote:Thanks! What are the best uses and applications of the plugins in the diamond bundle?
I like the rennisance bundle. Pretty good there. Also the effects are pretty decent meaning IR reverb, Enigma, etc... Also the Puigtec is a cool eq.

Mike
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

chrisjnorwood
audio school graduate

Post by chrisjnorwood » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks for the input everyone!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Save the rest of the fund to set up your Waves blackmail fund, and make regular donations to it :wink:

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:12 pm

+1 on Diamond bundle plus Studio Classics. If that's too much, then maybe Diamond plus the SSL bundle. If the entire Diamond is too much, here are some favorites....

I find I use the Renaissance EQ a lot for "general" EQ. The Renaissance compressor is good even though I forget about it sometimes. Ren reverb is good, sometimes grainy on high percussive sources (tambo, woodblock) but nice for getting like a low tom or kick to bloom and boom. So +1 on anything with the Ren stuff.

True Verb is cool for subtler room-ish ambience, hasn't become a regular for me for longer verbs.

Mondomod always seems to end up on a mix. I like the FM part, and some of the widener and chorus FX are nice.

Though they get a bad rap when overused as "mastering" plugins, the L2, L1 and even L3 are pretty useful.

For $79, the GTR package finds it's way into a lot of mixes, I like the distortions in the stomboxes, amp sims are OK in a pinch.

I do like the CLA 1176 more than the stock BF one. +1 on Puigtech MEQ.

The Studio Classics are sweet, I use the SSL plugs most but the API 2500 compressor has really grown on me, especially in drum applications. And the SSL bus comp is no slouch either.
"Strawberry Fields was a fucking mess, we didn't know what to do with it. Then one day, it just all came together." -Geoff Emerick

http://www.anthonymcaruso.com

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:57 am

i love the waves classics collection. i mostly use the API and V series (neve) EQ's, the API compressor HUGE! and the v-series comp gets some use. rarely the SSL channel strip, just don't love the feel of that as much, but sometimes it's the only thing that works.
but the SSL bus comp is on virtually every mix.

i have the diamond bundle, but sometimes wish i spent less money on just the Renaissance bundle. ....except for those few times i need noise reduction...
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:16 am

chrisjnorwood wrote:Well it looks like I spoke too soon. Nothings been purchased yet. The studio I work for is taking requests. It probably won't be the entire bundle. I work for a music production studio. I compose and record music for TV and film. Which ones should I look at getting?
Whichever ones your Budget allows for.

Hmmm... or... whichever ones your boss buys.

Either way, Waves are good plug ins.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:07 pm

I use the SSL plugs a lot (mostly on drums) and the Ren EQ quite often and Rverb on a lot of stuff. Sometimes use Rcomp too. I find it fairly color-less. Also, RVox on vocals frequently. I also bought the IR-L reverb recently but haven't used it too much yet. still getting to know it (had to order the impulse DVDs too).

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A National Acrobat
gettin' sounds

Post by A National Acrobat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:18 am

mrc wrote:Save the rest of the fund to set up your Waves blackmail fund, and make regular donations to it :wink:
Yup.

I bought the Platinum back in 2005 and have enjoyed it, no doubt, but was kinda astounded to learn it would cost me over $200 to 'upgrade' to Snow Leopard.

So I'm really subscribing to the 'if it ain't broke' school of thought now. No more latest and greatest for this guy.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:52 am

+1 on the Renn bundle. I use the Renn Desser a lot.
Prog out with your cog out.