Session Backup "Cloud"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Session Backup "Cloud"

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm

I just learned about Gobbler this morning and thought it would be of interest to many of you TOMBers. It allows you to backup DAW sessions as well as send sessions to other people. I don't know how much they intend to charge once it's out of beta but it does say transfers are secure and their employees can't directly access your files. Apparently while they're in beta they are offering 50GB/month transfer for free.

http://www.gobbler.com/

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:51 pm

I was just considering this today. Depending on the price the service looks great. I'd like to learn a bit more about the "proprietary" lossless compression, as transferring files seems like a great feature.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:52 pm

I tried putting up an old session from 2008 that's about 5GB and was somewhat underwhelmed with the transfer speed. Hard to judge by one transfer, though of course.

Looks like it could be a great service, depending on price, especially for those that may not have an FTP server and need to send sessions to others on a semi-regular basis.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:31 am

I had just gone through an upload of video. With a direct connection to a cable modem (no wireless), the best speed I could maintain was 240 Kb/sec, which works out to about 0.864 Gb/hour.

My completed projects usually come in between 15 and 20 Gb, so I can't see uploading entire projects.

It's a great idea for uploading quick mixes and having someone on the other side of the world add a track which can be sent back to the project. That's something that I've been doing for quite awhile now.

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:10 am

But the idea is once you upload the files (be it an entire project, or just one session), it can be quickly downloaded by someone else due to the lossless compression, right?

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Dan Rosato wrote:But the idea is once you upload the files (be it an entire project, or just one session), it can be quickly downloaded by someone else due to the lossless compression, right?
That and the fact that it gives you an off-site backup in addition to the external HD or DVD or whatever you back up to.

The only issue I've run into thus far, and it's a big issue, is it not recognizing two different external drives that it had already scanned for sessions.

TREPSTRASH
audio school

Post by TREPSTRASH » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey guys, I think that I might have some insight into Gobbler questions floating around. I've been working with it recently, and have also had some discussions with their developers about some of the things that you've been discussing in this post.

1) Speed. I was asking them about their servers and they told me that they are super fast, and should not limit your uploading at all. They do not throttle the uploading like other sites seem to do. I realized that sessions are not small, and the time that goes into the uploading can be a bit laborious, but as mentioned in one of the more recent posts, once it's up there only the changes made from that point have to go up or down making the process way smoother and less cumbersome overall.
I was also told that they are consistently trying to maintain speed optimization on their servers. In fact, there are supposed to be some new speed and stability updates in the coming weeks.

2) Compression. It's a derivative of FLAC compression, the system also runs error checks to ensure the master & compressed files are a bit-for-bit match so that there is not audio degradation. I have yet to hear a difference on my end, and at this point feel totally comfortable with that.

I have to say that overall I've been pretty pleased with the program. The response from the development team has been amazingly quick and informative. I know that the company is trying to really get this application under their belts and make it a great. I would imagine that they are open to feedback and conversations about how to improve their product. Or at least that's the impression that I get from working with them.

On a side note, I've had bit of downtime, but have some newer projects that I'll be doing more "gobbling" for, and I will keep you up to date as to what I find with even more exploration into the system. Hope that helps!

mt
www.michaeltrepagnier.com
michaelT.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Welcome to the board, Michael! It was great meeting you yesterday!

Chris

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tims96 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 pm

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with Gobbler now that it's been available for a while? I've uploaded some of my current projects and love the extra backup option it provides, but have yet to use the "send file" feature. I'm curious if anyone's used it yet and if so what your impressions are.

TREPSTRASH
audio school

Post by TREPSTRASH » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I have sent a few things here and there and have had nothing bad happen on their end of the transaction. My internet is kinda crap, so it take a while on my part, but overall I've been happy with it!
michaelT.