An interesting/cheap non plugin Plate verb is what?......

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I've found that nothing sounds better than a Soundworkshop 242 getting overdriven and fed into a effectron or a super timeline. All the way from fuzzy garage era sounds to an almost plate sound with a bit less decay.

they are a bit hard to find and more in the 200-300 range and can need some tlc to get in shape, but are worth it. Some of the other units like the Orban or biamp stuff can be great too.

also...dont rule out guitar pedals or sending to an amp an micing to taste. Even without a reamp you can get some great sounds. Sometimes the impedence mismatch is a natural low pass filter. :wink:

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I'd say now's the time for the DIY plate verb.

I also dig my Sansui RA-500. ($20 at a thrift store) It's an old-fashioned consumer "pseudo-stereo" spring, but sounds kinda cool. You can only use it in mono if you want a fully wet signal though. I'd love to find another to get the stereo spring action happening. I actually keep forgetting to go in and snip the dry circuit from feeding through so I can feed it a mono signal but get a stereo spring sound at the other end.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:35 pm

AKG BX5 spring.
Sound workshop spring.
the orban spring sounds like a spring, the two above sound like reverb unless you put handclaps into them super hard.... even then, the BX5 will hang in there and still sound like reverb.

If you go digital: TC M2000, the "gold plate" setting can really be useful, and if you need more character then send it through a monitor or two in the live room and you have a chambered verb that way and it can sound incredible. If you have ANY space (basement, garage, pool room, raquetball court) that you can appropriate: use it as a chamber and send a little of the dry vocal and a TON of the verb into it, and return it like a verb to the console, eq it like crazy until it sounds right to you, and know you are putting down a verb tail nobody else has.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:29 pm

ott0bot wrote:I've found that nothing sounds better than a Soundworkshop 242 getting overdriven and fed into a effectron or a super timeline. All the way from fuzzy garage era sounds to an almost plate sound with a bit less decay.
Totally. My Soundworkshop has this weird tick where it overdrives really easy unless there is some pretty serious compression in front of it. Overdriven it sounds really cool too. Usually when I send the playback of a vocal take through that thing and bring the return up a pinch the dudes that were falling asleep on the couch behind me start waking up and talking about how awesome it sounds.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:44 am

there are a few patches on my quadraverb that sound like they would be perfect for what you need.

i also just got a valverb and sounds really cool so far - onboard eq and preamp gives the ability to really tweak the sounds -
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Hello,

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I managed to win an ebay auction a "Realistic Stereo Reverb" (Radioshack bucket brigade)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 585wt_1084

I think I paid a bit over the odds but I got a bit trigger happy. The one in the link is not the one I won but it is the ame model.

I'm thinking of getting a quadraverb as well.

Reading the description in the ebay link above it looks like the Realistic could be more a delay than a reverb - anyone care to comment. I'm sure it'll be cool whatever it says on the faceplate.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:28 pm

If you can swing $299, check out the Strymon Blue Sky reverb.
It's a pedal but can operate at line levels, I use mine on the send/return with no issues.
Does really impressive plate, room and spring... standard, or with modulation (gorgeous), or with pitch-shifted feedback (Shimmer).
All of the Youtube demos I've seen are with guitar, but it works just as well with any source.
It's really hands-on and you get dedicated knobs for HF/LF damping.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:48 am

the radioshack box is an analog delay - very fun and cool but not really like reverb so much... i love the audio damage plug version: http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD002

you still need a spring! they are so cheap and have so much more scrappy character than any plug - even the fun low bit old digi delays are pretty dark and smooth compared to a spring ...
the new rules : there are no rules

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:22 pm

If you're considering pedals like the Strymon BlueSky, you might want to check out the new TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/hall-of-fame.asp

I got one and its the first reverb to knock my holy grail (older big box) off my pedal board. I've been recording vocals with it after an Effectron III and they've been great together. I'm only using the Spring, Plate and Church settings so far and they've been real musical, especially for $150!

They also have a slot for uploading new settings via usb so basically this is a digital pedal that could do anything time based depending on the software loaded?! It should have a program to customize my own sounds and load on there. Open source pedal?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 pm

If you're looking for a plate with some lo-fi character you should just build your own.

I built one a few years ago (documented here - http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight= ).
It's not the easiest or cheapest project I've undertaken but I'm pretty happy with the results. it was pretty noisy and a little rattle-y until I found the sweet spot between input volume and output gain. Once I sorted that out it's been sounding quite good and ends up somewhere on every record I make or mix. It's nowhere near an EMT but it's better than my plug ins and springs.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:45 pm

joel hamilton wrote:AKG BX5 spring.
2x. I picked up one of these a few months ago and it's finding its way onto almost every track.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:37 am

recall wrote:Hello,

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I managed to win an ebay auction a "Realistic Stereo Reverb" (Radioshack bucket brigade)

I think I paid a bit over the odds but I got a bit trigger happy. The one in the link is not the one I won but it is the ame model.

I'm thinking of getting a quadraverb as well.

Reading the description in the ebay link above it looks like the Realistic could be more a delay than a reverb - anyone care to comment. I'm sure it'll be cool whatever it says on the faceplate.
I have the same model - definitely a delay (pretty short), and crappy in a cool way :) Stick a guitar through the mic input for some nasty overdrive ...

Sadly lots of the spring reverbs mentioned just don't turn up cheap in the UK - even the Sansui / Pioneer hi-fi jobs. You gotta plough through a lot of old TV & Radio Repair shops to turn one up cheap (like thrift store cheap) - but I keep looking :roll:

Next plan is an old spring tank and make my own, plus run some lines to an old speaker in the garage :D

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 am

ensoniq dp4

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:52 pm

recall wrote:I managed to win an ebay auction a "Realistic Stereo Reverb" (Radioshack bucket brigade)

Definitely a BBD-based analog delay, not really reverb in the strict sense, nor in the sense that you're probably seeking as per your original post. But having said that, those boxes are INSANELY weird and fun to play with, especially if you do some creative real-time riding of the Delay control. . . .

As for a cheap-but-good plate sound, I've got a TC M300 ($40 2nd-hand), that pleasantly surprised me. Easy to use too--no menus, just knobs.

Joe

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:AKG BX5 spring.
2x. I picked up one of these a few months ago and it's finding its way onto almost every track.
Damn.... this one doesn't even work correctly and its over $800!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-Acoustics-BX-5- ... _500wt_922