Ludwig 26x14 Kick Drum Sample

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dawsonaudio
audio school graduate

Ludwig 26x14 Kick Drum Sample

Post by dawsonaudio » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 pm

I recorded a Ludwig Green Sparkle drum kit with a 26x14 kick drum. The overall sound turned out really great, but the individual kick drum mic didn't turn out like I wanted it to. I've tried replacing the file with some Addictive Drum samples, but they aren't working out that great.

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement sample that would match the tonal quality and size of a Ludwig Green Sparkle 26x14 kick drum? Thanks.

Nate Dawson

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Why replace it? Why not "enhance" it with sample(s), but leave the source sound intact as well. You could also try some parallel processing. Is it that bad? (26" is going to be more boom than punch, but...)

GJ

A National Acrobat
gettin' sounds

Post by A National Acrobat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:00 pm

^^^ agreed.

Use a sample that accentuates what your original track is lacking and vice versa. Mix to taste.

dawsonaudio
audio school graduate

Post by dawsonaudio » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:44 pm

I'll post the kick drum mic tomorrow and maybe someone can give it a listen. I was planning on keeping the original and doing just that...taking a similar sample and adding to it.

I'll post a link tomorrow.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:41 pm

SANSAMP THAT MOFO!

seriously. distortion often helps.
the new rules : there are no rules

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Is it illegal to grab one Bonham hit? Honestly, I don't know. But there are tracks floating around of just Bonzo going at it.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:55 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Is it illegal to grab one Bonham hit? Honestly, I don't know. But there are tracks floating around of just Bonzo going at it.
The ones I had were like 128 kbps MP3's. I mean, Bonzo would still sound great at 60 kbps, but just sayin'...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 am

There are legal kits out there, like (attenion Tony!) Mick Fleetwood. Also, you could just grab something else from another recording (of yours).

It is for this reason that I always _try_ to remember to slate sounds before a session. If you take your own samples, you'll always have them available if you need to fly something in on that session (a missed snare hit or flam here, a tom or a cymbal there), or if you need a bass drum hit for a different session!

GJ

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:58 pm

palinilap wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:Is it illegal to grab one Bonham hit? Honestly, I don't know. But there are tracks floating around of just Bonzo going at it.
The ones I had were like 128 kbps MP3's. I mean, Bonzo would still sound great at 60 kbps, but just sayin'...
I'm sure you're right, now that I think about it. Man, that was one (more than that, really) of those times where I never even checked the bitrate. Quality of performance trumping quality of the medium once again. The little bit of analysis I did do on the sound actually had me coming up with the kick not really sounding so "great" anyway. Kindof a "knock knock" sound even more than a boom, I'd say. But somehow that's not how it comes across when you're not in RTA mode.
Carl Keil

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:25 pm

Yes, it is illegal to you a sound recording owned someone else if it is not licensed for use.

If you were going to grab a Bonzo sample (and I'm not suggesting that you do) but i you did, grab the first BD hit from Since I've Been Loving You, because it is possibly the most beautiful recording of a rock bass drum ever made.

A National Acrobat
gettin' sounds

Re: Ludwig 26x14 Kick Drum Sample

Post by A National Acrobat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:09 pm

dawsonaudio wrote:I recorded a Ludwig Green Sparkle drum kit with a 26x14 kick drum. The overall sound turned out really great, but the individual kick drum mic didn't turn out like I wanted it to.
Just curious; what did you want the individual drum mic track to sound like?

I've had several individual tracks that didn't sound 'amazing' but once un-solo'd, the kit sounded phenomenal; including a 26" kick.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 pm

26" bass drums don't sound good under "normal" modern recording circumstances, and also, don't usually sound good played by "average" modern drummers...

you need to have 2 solid single ply (none of that Powerstroke or EQ3 B.S.) heads, felt strips, and play heel down. period. end of story. an e602 2" from the beater on a 26" x 14" drum sounds like dog shit. put an old 87 or a FET47 a foot in front, and you're golden.... it's a totally different beast.

anyway, my point is, it's really hard to record one of those and have it work in a modern context... as you say in your post, the overall sound is good, but the kick track isn't... that's because those sorts of drums are acoustic instruments, and the classic sound we associate with them is from people who knew how to play acoustic music... Bonham (the only reason any drummer these days plays a 26", it seems) basically played like a jazz drummer, and was captured as such.

That said, a sample of a nice, dead 20" drum is probably the answer. Something that seems really really generic and modern when solo'd... and then just use that instead of the kick in mic, and use the kick out from the 26" for the color and tone, etc... if the sample is really dead, it won't really have any character to interfere with the way the 26" sounds in the room mics, etc, you can just target the characteristics that you need (I'm assuming snap and deep low end, from my own experiences with big drums) and blend it in.

Hope that ramble helps...

ramble on. sing my song.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

dawsonaudio
audio school graduate

Post by dawsonaudio » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 am

I'm going to upload a solo kick mic today. I've been busy the last few days. The drummer was really good who did the session for me and I was the weak link if there was one. The kit was recording with two room mics, ribbons, two overheads, small cond, 57 over snare, d12e a foot in front of kick with no hole and 8 feet in front of kick a soundelux u95s through my api mic pre's. The kick drum didn't have a hole cut in it.

I'll post the file later today

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:25 am

Side-note that you might want to try-- kill one of the room mikes. I have always used stereo room mikes, but have recently discovered the joys of a mono room microphone...

GJ

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:38 pm

I've almost always played a 24" kick. And for a while I was kindof a purist about not using any muffling or a hole in the head. A great sound I got for a while was with a D112 right on the beater, mic'd from the drummer side of the kit aimed right where it hit the head as close as possible and a TapeOp omni really close to the head, by the edge of the resonant head. I really got some of that flappity flap of the reso head that way, as well as click and boom. It was the most bonham sound I've ever gotten. I would put one or both mic's through distortion, usually. And I often hard panned the two mics so, sitting between the speakers would be like being inside the drum.

Here's a sample, sorry for the long, non-sequitor intro, this was for a play. And actually, now that I relisten, it sounds nothing like Bonham, but that was the general consensus from the people that heard it and commented.
http://www.snarlnet.com/mp3/2004-2005/L ... eFinal.mp3
Carl Keil