I Have A New To Me Tascam 788 With A Problem.....Maybe It's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MusicallyMrM
audio school graduate

I Have A New To Me Tascam 788 With A Problem.....Maybe It's

Post by MusicallyMrM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:39 pm

me that is the problem :D

Bought a used 788 2 months ago. Didn't have a power supply. Got a new factory supply from Tascam and this 788 looks and works like new. Installed a 40 gig drive in place of the 7.5 that was in it and that's quite adequate for most of the stuff I do with this machine.

The problem that I'm having is that after recording tracks and I go to adjust eq in the mix and I see the change occur on the screen but I can't hear any change. I have no problem setting the eq levels before the recording but after the recording, I can't get them to change. (I actually have a similar problem with the effects too) It's got to be something I'm doing wrong and it seems as though I'm doing what the manual says (although the manual uses some weird conventions for many of it's explanations) Doing most of my playback through the monitor outputs through my Crown Amp. What am I doing wrong?
"Life Is Just A Game and they're many ways to play; All you do Is choose.........." Stanley Clarke

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:57 am

it's been awhile, but they are a great machine..In the eq box, there is a box to tick to turn it on and off. the fx sends are at zero by default..you have to turn them up.
i still have 2 of them and 1 cd burner..Hit me up if you need a spare or need 16 tracks at once..I used to have mine synched..
hope this heelps

MusicallyMrM
audio school graduate

Post by MusicallyMrM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm

randrohe wrote:it's been awhile, but they are a great machine..In the eq box, there is a box to tick to turn it on and off. the fx sends are at zero by default..you have to turn them up.
i still have 2 of them and 1 cd burner..Hit me up if you need a spare or need 16 tracks at once..I used to have mine synched..
hope this heelps

Thanks for the reply. Having used numbers of analog portastudios over the years, this step completely eluded me. When I went to the "Quick Setup" menu, there were (drum roll please) Assignment menus and wouldn't you know there was one entitled "Mixdown". After pressing that, I was able to go in and set everything; eq's, levels, effects. Why doesn't the manual make something that important obvious when they outline the manual? Sheesh! :roll:
"Life Is Just A Game and they're many ways to play; All you do Is choose.........." Stanley Clarke

MusicallyMrM
audio school graduate

Post by MusicallyMrM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 pm

randrohe wrote:i still have 2 of them and 1 cd burner..Hit me up if you need a spare or need 16 tracks at once..I used to have mine synched..
hope this heelps
And yeah, I'd be real interested in one if you want to part with it. PM me or e-mail me at amcleodiii@centurylink.net :D

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Hi,
Quick update..I have not been able to locate the second power supply. I had loaned it to a friend for awhile and I'm going to have to have him do a search for it.
I'll keep you posted.
rand

MusicallyMrM
audio school graduate

Post by MusicallyMrM » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:15 pm

randrohe wrote:Hi,
Quick update..I have not been able to locate the second power supply. I had loaned it to a friend for awhile and I'm going to have to have him do a search for it.
I'll keep you posted.
rand
I'll be waiting to hear from you (and trying to hold on to this money) :D

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 pm

I never checked the box when it came back to me and he is going through a divorce...We'll both keep our finger crossed..
alright, I won't leave you hanging..
in the meantime..enjoy 8 tracks

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:16 pm

still searching..do you still want to be informed if I find it or should we just drop it?
sorry for the let down
Rand

MusicallyMrM
audio school graduate

Post by MusicallyMrM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:06 am

randrohe wrote:still searching..do you still want to be informed if I find it or should we just drop it?
sorry for the let down
Rand
Still interested so update me. :D

crawling wind
audio school

Tascam 788 upgrade files needed

Post by crawling wind » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:43 am

Hello - I just bought a Tascam 788 via Ebay and am awaiting delivery. It is an older OS 1.11 and now I need to track down the 2.02 upgrade files. Does anyone here have those files that they can send? It appears that Tascam no longer makes this information available and detective work is in order. Thanks for looking!

--James

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am

on both my machines, I did an eprom swap. If I remember correctly, you could burn the download and upgrade via the cdrw scsi..
don't know how much that helps you.

crawling wind
audio school

Post by crawling wind » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 am

The previous owner did the eprom swap to get to v1.10. The problem is that the v2.02 upgrade files have dissapeared from the Web. I need to find someone who still has the upgrade files around. The old Tascam 788 forum is no longer active. Thanks for the reply!

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 pm

check this site out. This guy used to host a 788 forum I believe, or was very active on it..It's been years, but maybe?
http://cmoore.com/

crawling wind
audio school

Post by crawling wind » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:53 am

A kind soul was able to send me the attachments I was looking for - my 788 is now 2.02. Thanks for looking!

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:41 am

sweet..it's got a couple of very useful features. enjoy!