Parallel compression q

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Parallel compression q

Post by jaguarundi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question from a beginner in parallel compression land here but, in PT9, is it not possible to solo just the sound of the parallel compressed Aux track (without the original sound mixed in), or are they innately tied together all the time, and you always have to hear both?
thanks,
Adam

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:09 am

hey dude,
i think you need to always be sending to the aux from a pre-fader send if you want to hear the aux on its own. not sure though.

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:50 am

Yep, pre fader send will do it.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks guys, that sounds like the one, will try it when I get home. Also I remembered I can also just duplicate the audio track or aux as well and work parallel like that.

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 am

You sure can duplicate, but it's less than ideal as it will be putting unnecessary stress on your system. Obviously not much of an issue if it's only one or two tracks, but if you're wanting to dial in varying levels of parallel processing on an entire drum kit, etc you could run into problems.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 am

Dan yeah I hear ya, I was thinkin only doin that when it's for individual tracks, like a bass, that would be the way most people would do it right, just duplicate the bass?

For drums I'd imagine duplicating the aux stereo bus that the kit is routed to would probably the starting point for most people right?

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 am

Right. That or creating another stereo bus for the compressed drums. This gives you the chance to create a separate mix to send to your compressor (for instance, maybe you're pretty happy with the kick sound and level in the original track, and don't see the need to send as much or any to compressor), to better fine tune the final blend of uncompressed and compressed drums.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 am

Dan Rosato wrote:Right. That or creating another stereo bus for the compressed drums. This gives you the chance to create a separate mix to send to your compressor (for instance, maybe you're pretty happy with the kick sound and level in the original track, and don't see the need to send as much or any to compressor), to better fine tune the final blend of uncompressed and compressed drums.
Oh yeah, that totally makes sense.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:42 am

Unless set to pre fader, the parallel comp aux send is most definitely tied to the original track. Something I do sometimes, if I want the aux track to be post fader for whatever reason, is temporarily change the output of the main tracks to something unused, like a random bus assignment or a digital output I don't have connected. Then when you solo the main tracks and the parallel comp tracks only the parallel comp tracks will be heard.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:35 am

cool, thanks for the tip Mike. Pre fader was definitely the button that fixed the initial thing I was asking about, and I'll throw your post fader trick on the palette too, thanks!