Best Delay for Live Vocal Application

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jh8406
ass engineer

Best Delay for Live Vocal Application

Post by jh8406 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:00 am

Looking for best delay for vocals(probably a pedal) and prefer more of an analog sound. I guess to be a bit more specific, I'm looking for kind of a slapback effect with some amount of versatility(i.e. longer or heavier delay). Not looking to spend more than, say $150

Thanks.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 am

Are you looking for something to rack up next to the engineer, or something smaller you can use from a stage for performance?

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:47 pm

On behalf of live sound engineers everywhere, please don't use a guitar pedal in your vocal chain - they almost always diminish mic performance. Use something with proper mic level inputs like the TC Electronic Helicon Stuff.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:55 pm

PeterAuslan wrote:On behalf of live sound engineers everywhere, please don't use a guitar pedal in your vocal chain - they almost always diminish mic performance. Use something with proper mic level inputs like the TC Electronic Helicon Stuff.
Unless of course you are using a Keymaster. Then you'll be fine. http://www.pigtronix.com/products08/keymaster.html

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes, I was going to go back and mention that and you beat me to it. If you like the sound of a guitar fx pedal use the keymaster or even a little mackie mixer with an aux send.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 pm

PeterAuslan wrote: Use something with proper mic level inputs like the TC Electronic Helicon Stuff.
+1 on this. Do yourself a favor. Keeps it simple.

Even the Digitech vocal 300 is easy, fun, and is designed as a proper tool for what you're wanting to do. Personally, I like to be able to switch patches using the foot and have an expression pedal as well and always enjoyed Digitech floor stuff for live work whether it be guitars or vox.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 am

People turn their noses up at Digitech stuff... But, I agree. The purple vocal processor is fantastic. My guess is, if you want pristine vocals, then you wouldn't be considering putting them through a guitar pedal. The verbs and delays from the Digitech are perfectly useable. And, the thing is deeply tweakable.

I'd love it if it had a separate, dry, mic level output, so the engineer could put the dry signal in the monitors. But, I've found that if you gain stage it properly and don't get too radical with the size of verbs or the FB of delays, it can be run pretty fucking hot through a wedge without feeding back. I also make extensive use of the gate to eliminate feedback and prevent having drums blasting through the PA with my vocal effects when I'm not singing.

I will have to look into this Keymaster, though... This looks amazing! I'd like to put be able to put together a small vocal pedal board with some interesting boutique pedals. Looks like the Keymaster could be pretty useful for lots of other stuff, too.

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:27 am

I'll second the Digitech 300. I did have some feedback problems early on at gigs, but the gate does help tremendously. There are a few different delay sounds in the bank too, so you can pick the one that best suits you.

jh8406
ass engineer

Post by jh8406 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for the responses. I will look into the Digitech and the Keymaster.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Regardless of what delay you go with, I totally agree that plugging your mic into an effects pedal is a serious compromise in terms of signal integrity.

Someone mentioned the Key Master and although that is a nice signal routing device for certain things like reamping, it really is not ideal for routing an xlr mic signal through effect pedals. The gain staging and interaction of the Key Master and your mixer will result in a very noisy signal.

A much better alternative is the Synapse Pedal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTVlvpVFs7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnGLdLYRJew

Here is the website:

http://www.revivalelectric.com/effects.php

TRUST ME THIS THING IS A GODSEND FOR ROUTING PASSIVE MIC SIGNALS THROUGH EFFECT PEDALS!!! I haven't seen anything else in a stomp box format that can touch it.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

No-Fi
ass engineer

Post by No-Fi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I would highly recommend a Kaoss Pad, the 1st and 2nd models should be in your price range. They have mic/line/phono inputs, multiple effects, sampling capabilities and are fun as hell to play with (especially live). Some of my favorite delay settings are in those boxes.