NPR - abandoned buildings into studios, where would you?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

NPR - abandoned buildings into studios, where would you?

Post by timcoalman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 pm

On NPR "The Record" with Ann Powers

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011 ... =mh_frhdl1

As recent (or soon-to-be) graduates of the Clive Davis School for Recorded Music at NYU, Knobler and a handful of friends started a recording studio, Mason Jar Music. And they even converted a Brooklyn basement. But the space didn't have the majesty they wanted. So they started to look for spaces that did ? places where they could bring in orchestras and bands and get the soaring sound of an epic space.

Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center were out. But they stumbled upon an old church in downtown Manhattan that would let them record in the middle of the night. Then they got a line on an abandoned hotel where they could set up their mobile recording equipment for an afternoon.

And co-founder of Mason Jar Music Jon Seale says they realized these spaces weren't just cheap. They sounded amazing.

"We realized how important the environment is to the music," Seale says. "The spaces we're in affect the music we play, whether it's a quiet recording studio or a great hall or an empty building."

An idea was hatched: a recording series that matched new music to forgotten spaces. But the Mason Jar Music crew would find that empty buildings bring their own challenges.

So, where would you go sneaking in at night? What spaces/buildings?

Mine that came to mind while listening to the piece (will add more later) -
1) a basement of a home I walked through once, 10 years ago. I thirty-foot chamber that was an effort of a previous owner to have some defined space in what was an unusual foundational footing - probably to an earlier home gone now, replaced with a simple ranch home.

2) Cave of the Winds in Colorado, US. http://caveofthewinds.com/
When i was a kid we would visit so many caves and I remember the tour guides' voices swirling though the passages.

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

Post by timcoalman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 pm

Also reminded me of David Byrne talk on TED:

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_byrne_ho ... volve.html

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 am

Oh, this is great. As a teenager I did a ton of "Urban Exploring" before it had that name. I don't think we knew what to cal it, we were just hoping no one would catch us and call it "breaking and entering". That would have sucked.

I'd pick:

1) Any of New York City's abandoned subway stations
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/fe ... bway/10924
http://gothamist.com/2007/02/05/a_visit_to_the.php

2) Back in my old hometown, there was this old abandoned 50s diner on the side of the Saw Mill Parkway we affectionately called "Tony The Pork Chop's"... That or the abandoned Starhouse on the Side of 9a. Unfortunately, I think they've both been torn down. I'd listen to a recording made in a place like that.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Whenever I see a small church for sale I daydream about tracking drums in a room as big as my house with vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

Post by timcoalman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Whenever I see a small church for sale I daydream about tracking drums in a room as big as my house with vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows.
That is a big part of it for me - I first think of the sound - especially in terms of reverb, diffusion and the space for upper harmonics to saunter... but what i really imagine is the look and feel of the space. plaster, large, dark stained planks or beam supports, natural lighting, all the environmental sounds.

I also remember Set Fire to Flames recorded one or both of their albums in an old house. Many of the sounds left in of them moving about, floor creaking, etc.

http://www.alien8recordings.com/release ... -rebuilder

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:36 pm

[quote="timcoalman"but what i really imagine is the look and feel of the space. plaster, large, dark stained planks or beam supports, natural lighting, all the environmental sounds.[/quote]

I'd love to get out of the basement. I always say it's to have higher ceilings, but I would love to have big window looking out on the city, or some woods in my drum room. Sometimes I think that the reason I don't do much music any more is 'cause my "venue" is so uninspiring.

Cue the link to the David Byrne TED talk.
Carl Keil

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:09 pm

We did it by being one of only two tenets in an abandoned manufacturing/office building. Aside from my three-room studio, we can track in the hallways, we will be setting-up a killer echo chamber by the stairwell, and there is a big warehouse that we could get access to if needed/wanted.

But mostly not, because we dig our three rooms, and because the place is creepy as all get out after dark.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:12 pm

On the other hand, two really cool huge reverb chamber, mostly empty/abandoned type halls in Buffalo (for the mobile on-location thing) would be:

1) The old downtown train station

2) The Connecticut Street Armory (parade floor inside; "First Castle on the left")

GJ

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:57 am

Almost forgot! I have an article coming out tomorrow on Recording Retreats. Half the studios in the roundup were built in a re-purposed church or barn or something. One of them is even on a boat! I'll post here when it comes out.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 am

I play upright bass. Over ten years ago, when I'd just started, I was in a free jazz trio. We recorded at a modernist church that was shaped like a cube. Great reverb. The audio is still up here. I'd borrowed I think a digital four track cassette recorder from a friend, the mics must have been all SM58s. I don't think it sounds too bad all things considering.

I've also played in an abandoned rock quarry (nice delay), on a wooden pedestrian bridge (dead acoustics except for a long delay) and in a fir tree farm (weird & very absorbent). Didn't record any of those though, which is a pity.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:46 am

Once played a gig in a huge gym. We sounded like total shit in there. I was really jealous when the band after us played. They did lots of things, like stops and breaks and stuff that totally took advantage of the ridiculous echo in there to dramatic affect. They made the horrible sound of the place part of their show. Another lesson to me about the difference between showmanship and musicianship.
Carl Keil

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:08 pm

i'm really digging this thread! i always love recording in unconventional spaces, and love listening to recordings done in them.

probably the wierdest place i've ever recorded was this abandoned logging railroad tunnel.
it's just a one take improv on a hissy flash recorder but it's still sounds kind of cool: http://bit.ly/jOYG7T

the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:18 am

That tunnel looks awesome!

I've always had an itch to do recordings in the stairways of publicly-funded buildings. Especially NYC public schools. They always sound so weird. Or, those concrete tunnels in children's playgrounds.

Anyway, here's the article I promised - churches, barns, 19th century lakehouses, boats: Recording Studio Retreats. Pretty neat.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Justin, yr killing me... Those places are so great, fun stuff.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

JustinHedrick
steve albini likes it

Post by JustinHedrick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:22 pm

we have an american legion hall in the town where i live that i would love to record in. also an old methodist church.

i really like old buildings and wish i could own a small-ish one someday . . . sigh.
another metal guitar tip is to put a fan in front of you while you play, so it blows your stupid long hair around like the solo is BLOWING YOU AWAY because you're a fucking tool.