Build inside a steel shed, starting it right

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Build inside a steel shed, starting it right

Post by Uncle Dub » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:43 am

I'm planning to move my recording setup from my basement, to a space to be built inside a large (40'x80') quonset hut in my yard. It'll be a practice space / open plan recording area / possible performance space. t'll be a 'deck' like construction above a dirt floor, as it's too expensive to concrete the whole thing. I plan to use maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of it and leave the rest for storage.

My nearest neighbour is a half mile away, so I'm not too worried about soundproofing, but I've a few questions / worries.

If I build one wall, or both walls slightly angled inward (also to get more floorspace out of the semi-circular shell) does this count as non-parallel walls and help cut down reflections?

How high should I put the ceilings? The higher the ceiling the less of the width I can use. Should the ceiling be angled too? (It'll be like living in a funhouse if I'm not careful)

Will I need to insulate the outside of the structure to prevent vibrations from the shell?

I plan to install a ground spike, and run the ground pins in each outlet back to this, how anal do I have to be about this? If I have 4 double outlets grouped together, can I run one ground to this or do I need to run 4 grounds to the same spot?

This is going to be a definite 'work in progress' and I'm not a career recordist, but I want to get the bones right, so I can add to it as I go along, so any advice or gotchas to look out for would be appreciated.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 am

I can't remember which issue it was, but in the last couple of years I vaguely remember reading a TO article on a studio in an old grain silo. Or have I imagined that one? :? Anyone else recall the issue# or studio? Anyway, thought it might help with dealing with the (semi) circular metal space, construction techniques etc ...

Did a quick google for 'recording studio grain silo' and the two most interesting links were the http://www.silophone.net/ (which I couldn't make work) and a half million gallon echo chamber : http://youtu.be/m6PU8L9oSW4 !!!

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:46 am

There was the M.I.K.E. article or the Great Lake Swimmers?

M.I.K.E. was a circular bin, split down the middle, and they just walled the thing with panels, it's main thing was portability I think. GLS just recorded in an old grain bin.

In my case, I think the steel is more incidental, I won't be mounting panels on the wall, I'm building a wooden structure, within the steel, or at least thats the idea. It's a little bigger than a grain bin, that's a full sized exterior door on the front right. I won't be having circular walls or a ceiling, I was talking about angling the walls in a few degrees, and asked if that would count as a non-parallel wall and aid cutting down reflections.

I'm just framing out a space, and I want to make sure I don't do anything silly, and wish I could start over.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:24 am

It sounds like you are framing inside the existing structure for primarily seasonal insulative reasons ?

If that's the case make sure you use a good styrofoam insulation under your "deck" flooring. As far as ceiling construction goes, could you use scissor trusses? They are not too expensive and would allow you to spam whatever distance you would like, without compromising too much ceiling height.

If you're building is going to be anywhere near 40x40 I wouldn't worry about parallel walls. Not even close to being a major concern. You wouldbebetter off not creating a square structure, as they reinforce nasty freQuency buildup..

I've always wanted one of those buildings. Have fun with it!

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 am

I'd like to have the lofty claim of seasonal insulative reasons, but it's mainly cost. I've been in this place a few years now, and not done anything with the shed, because it wasn't floored, and doesn't have power (though that I can fix), but to even get half of it concreted looked to be an expensive proposition, and I'd been toying with the idea of building a wooden floor, but didn't really have any idea how, until a carpenter friend of mine got involved.

Now I'm off to look up what scissor trusses are, thanks :D

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 am

I'd use the existing shell, and insulate it somehow....
Here's mine:

Last edited by tonewoods on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Ooh, that looks very cool, what did you use on the walls, some kind of spray on insulation? My main thing is finance, I can't afford the $6-10K for a concrete slab of such size, and it's a dirt floor.

I suppose I could do a deck floor wall to wall and then spray the walls, but a twenty foot ceiling (I'm guessing as it's 40' across) would be horrendous to deal with, and I have these weird vents that let birds in to crap on the stuff that's stored there.

What is that stuff you used on the walls, and how expensive is it I'd need about 5000 square feet covered?

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Yeah, it's spray insulation, and would be prohibitively expensive for your digs...

I was just thinking that you might want to take advantage of your roof and interior shape of the building for sonic reasons...

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Damn, that really looks good and I would love to have the shed left in the round, but I'm seeing like $600 for 600 bd ft. for that insulation stuff, even if I cut back my plans to 1/4 of the space instead of a half thats $2500 gone.

Where did you get it from?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:39 pm

That looks super cool!!
wow.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:11 am

Uncle Dub wrote:Damn, that really looks good and I would love to have the shed left in the round, but I'm seeing like $600 for 600 bd ft. for that insulation stuff, even if I cut back my plans to 1/4 of the space instead of a half thats $2500 gone.

Where did you get it from?
I had some guys come over and spray it, and it was expensive....
But I love the way that room sounds...

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:41 am

Hmm, there is an outfit in town that do it, wonder if it's worth asking for a quote.

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:04 pm

Still waiting on a call back from the foamers, but I'm thinking, in terms of reflections, am I better building drywall walls, with inslation on the exterior, or leaving the raw steel walls, and if not foam, maybe fiberglass or polystyrene panels exposed on it?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:59 pm

You place looks awesome! It looks like a cave inside of there.

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Wow is right! Both of you have really inspired me with these spaces. This seems really ideal both sonically and budget-wise! I want a space of my own, but certainly don't have a budget for a traditional building, so something like this would work out really well in my position and area! Tonewoods, your space is really up my alley and looks amazing (I love the "cave" look)! do you mind if I PM you some specific questions about yours (I don't wanna hijack this thread)?
Uncle Dub: Good luck and definitely keep us posted on your progress! Was this hut already there, or did you recently build it?
Blah!