Apple's Commitment to Logic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wilson
studio intern

Apple's Commitment to Logic

Post by Wilson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 am

Hello gang,

In light of the Apple's recent pr disaster after the release of Final Cut Pro X, should Logic users question the company's commitment to the program and consider moving on to something else, or should we just stay put?

I'm a freelance engineer and do lots of live sound and live recording work. Thank you all for your bits.
As in music, so in life

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 am

Hi,

After using Logic extensively since 2001, I went back to Pro Tools HD in 2007.
Since 2006 I have seen Logic go from bad to worse. Now, I use it occasionally for some of it's effects, as either an offline editor / mangler, or as an effects send / return box.
It is simply too unstable for my taste.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 am

as apple's market share grows they become less likely to stick with their professional users and rather aim for expanding casual users.

just like how there is only one factor that decides if a movie gets a sequel, apple will always go where the money is.
as soon as they decide there is more money in getting people who want just a touch more than garage band to pay $300 for a bigger consumer level product, that's what they will do.

this is really more of an observation than a prediction. it's just what they have always done.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

engelen62
audio school

Post by engelen62 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 am

I have used logic almost everyday since it was on atari too many years ago. In my view logic has gone from good to better.. some bumps on the road though..

The reason protools will not do it for me:

- Key Commands customisation.
- group comping.
- bundled synths and plugins.

So i hope and pray Apple will not let us down as they did with the movie people..
Inge Engelen
dreamlab studio
NORWAY
ingee.no

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:33 am

Just saw this thread... a day after upgrading to 9... I'm middling happy with Logic and suspect I'd be happier with DP or PT for most of what I do. However, I'm financially sunk into it and I do really love the instruments and effects--I fear moving to DP/PT would just cost sooo much to get re-set-up with equivalents. I hope Apple doesn't abandon it. That'd suck.

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:33 am

I doubt they'll completely abandon it.
Software drives hardware sales, and Apple knows this.

You get an iPad, download the hobbled garageband app for like $5 or whatever, outgrow that, and want to run the real GarageBand, and you buy a mac mini. By the time you outgrow that you've got a pile of keyboards and audio interfaces and you need Logic, and an imac or a mac pro to run your rig.

I bet they'll price drop logic when they put it in the app store though.
And how the hell they're gonna sell something that size through the app store is gonna be a trick. Maybe they'll unbundle all the loops and sell them separately ...which they kind of already do with the "jam packs" or whatever.

I doubt Logic will ever be as cutting edge as Ableton, or as industry standard as Pro Tools, but I doubt that Apple would straight up abandon it.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 pm

plurgid wrote:I doubt Logic will ever be as cutting edge as Ableton, or as industry standard as Pro Tools, but I doubt that Apple would straight up abandon it.
Correct answer. Ableton is so far ahead it's silly and for better or worse, PT is what most people seem to "need".

I swear I hope Ableton 9 is a huge update the crushes the rest of these copy cat DAWs.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:56 am

analog-cabin wrote:Ableton is so far ahead it's silly
Can you elaborate on this? I'm not doubting, just curious. I'm a huge fan of Logic, and from what I've seen of Ableton, I'm surprised by your comment.
Alex C. McKenzie

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:23 am

analog-cabin wrote: ... Ableton is so far ahead it's silly and for better or worse, PT is what most people seem to "need".
Well that's not exactly what I meant by "cutting edge". I don't think I'd ever choose to track my band into Ableton, or do scoring work with it, or write orchestrations, etc. I would use the hell out of Ableton for sound design, for looping, making beats, setting up live sets, etc.

That's not to say you can't use Ableton for those things. Some people do, just like some people (believe it or not) use Logic for those things that Ableton is great at. I once saw Thomas Dolby run his entire live set with Logic 7 building the songs with live loops as he went, the whole shebang (it only crashed once, I shit you not). Not something I'd choose to do, but hey ...
analog-cabin wrote:I swear I hope Ableton 9 is a huge update the crushes the rest of these copy cat DAWs.
To me this is like saying "I hope craftsman comes out with a new hammer that crushes all these copycat screwdrivers".

Apart from the fact that they both deal in audio, to me they seem like completely different tools with completely different uses.

Though you CAN use a screwdriver to pound in a nail ... if you're determined enough ...

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:42 pm

plurgid wrote:
Though you CAN use a screwdriver to pound in a nail ... if you're determined enough ...
This I have done.

More than once.

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:06 am

I think it's gone better, and i'm loving it. That said, i do work on Cubase and PT too.
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:01 am

Welp... Apple released an update to Logic yesterday. Looks like there's life in it yet:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1014

I know that a lot of video editors initial reaction to FCPX is negative, but I'm going to wait and see where things are a year from now. I kind of have a hunch that things will smooth out.

It just doesn't make sense for Apple to turn its back on the pro market. It does make sense for Apple to force drastic changes from time to time, but I bet they still want to sell expensive computers & software to creatives.

TimOBrien
pluggin' in mics

Post by TimOBrien » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:53 am

It's the sort of thing you just shouldn't worry about (especially from what is now the largest company in the country with more free cash than the US government.)

There's no full guarantee that Steinberger/Cubase or Avid/Protools or Cakewalk or any other company will still be here next year or five years from now either. (Look what happened with Atari or Commodore a hundred other computer companies)

Use what you like and have fun with it.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Respectfully, Tim, I think you're missing the point that concerns some of us.

I use Logic and I use Final Cut Pro. I use them both to make money to support my family.

What Apple just did with Final Cut Pro X is nothing short of letting me know that at some point in the future I'll have to switch to another software. I've tried to use iMovie, and despite the fact that it's specifically designed to be easier to use than Final Cut, I find it harder because it doesn't do what I want it to do in a way that makes sense to me. Final Cut does.

So it wouldn't be the biggest stretch to think that other Apple "Pro" software would also be in for a simplification. And if that simplification means that Logic Studio is going to lose components, workflows, and capabilities - like FCP did - then there is a reason to dread the announcement that there's a new full update of Logic that's just been released.

Yes, it's true that just because Apple moves on, those of us who already use the software don't need to follow very close behind; I use Logic 8 and Final Cut 6. Both of them were originally released in 2007, and both are more than adequate for me to do what I need to do. Hopefully I can continue to use them for years to come.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:03 am

Apple has never been about Logic. They instill an emotional "need" in their followers to buy their "awesomely-designed", over-priced gadgets.

Sorry. Had to.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.