Using Renaissance Channel Sidechain?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lkrklnd
audio school graduate

Using Renaissance Channel Sidechain?

Post by lkrklnd » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Can anybody out there explain how the sidechain works in the Waves Renaissance Channel plugin? I'm just venturing into sidechain territory, so I'm shaky on even the fundamentals of the technique.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm

I never used it but checked it out one time quite awhile ago. If I recall correctly, if you click that box it opens up a list of all of your active tracks. Pick the one you want to use to trigger the compressor or whatever part of the channel strip you're using. The "side chain" input will be used to trigger the effect, rather than the track it's inserted on (though the effect will still act on the track it's inserted on). From my understanding, it's often used on something like a bass guitar track when you want the kick drum to come through--so you'd put the effect on the bass guitar track but then trigger its compression based on a sidechain input from the kick drum track; such that the bass gets compressed everytime the kick drum crosses the threshold, allowing the kick drum to cut through a bit more.