Doing nothing...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Doing nothing...

Post by cgarges » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:36 am

WesleyScott wrote:I know that if it doesn't need it, I shouldn't add it, but it feels wrong to do nothing!
Fucking it up is wrong. If doing nothing is the right hting to do, then that's not wrong. I'm with Dough. Print one like that and save it, then try some alternate stuff. But don't be afraid of the flat mix. If you recorded it that well, congratulate yourself, don't shoot yourself in the foot!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey Chris-- Who's "Dough?"

(I may have put on a few pounds since I got married, but I know nobody's called me "Dough" before...)

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Sorry. "Doug."

Also Gregg, I haven't forgotten that I owe you a phone call. Things have been absolutely nuts for me the last two months.

CG

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm

No problem, Chris. Whenever you get the chance. I've got the guy I told you about working on a friend's radio promo campaign right now...

GJ

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:49 am

As the doctors (used to) say, "first do no harm."
Last edited by ??????? on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:39 am

??????? wrote:It sounds like you have made an honest-to-goodness high fidelity recording. That's a rare treat. Have fun!
I still want to hear a sample. One man's shit is another man's gold, and vice versa.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wesley.wittich » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am

I finally have some rough mixes for review :) These were all tracked at 24/96, but these .wav files are all 16/44.1.

This first one is a cover of Randy Newman's 'Losing You' with just nylon string guitar and vocal. Very simplistic arrangement, but I dig it. The guitar was recorded with 2 Studer SKM5s, two U87s were used as room mics (although they are super low in the mix), and a Studio Project TB-1 was used for the vocals.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cc73a4a ... TO_mix.wav

This is another cover. Bury Me Beneath the Willow, a pretty popular Bluegrass tune. Breedlove acoustic with the Studer SDCs, AT4033 on both vocals, and a Rattle Snake Mandolin with AKG C480s. A little automation on the BG Vocals to even things out, and I also had the Mandolin miked with a KM84 that I brought up during the solo. Other than that and some panning, no effects.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cc7298c ... TO_mix.wav

Last is an original solo acoustic guitar song. Breedlove with Studers again. No effects.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cc73a75 ... TO_mix.wav

Overall, some of these probably could have some reverb/delay/etc. in spots, but I think we've really captured the sound the client is going for, and if he's happy with these, were just going to go with it. That being said, any suggestions are most appreciated!

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Hey Chris-- Who's "Dough?"
I'm available to make bread or pizzas once the current round of sessions end.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:15 pm

I tried to listen to one file, even though I found that file sharing site very off-putting, but after the wait, and the slow download, I got silence for my efforts. The file was 10 megs of bupkiss. You weren't covering that John Cage tune, were you? That's not what the liner notes said.

Just FYI.
Carl Keil

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wesley.wittich » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Well crap! Sorry about that, I've never uploaded music before...any site suggestions, I found that one with google... If y'all know of a site that would be better, let me know and I'll try it again.

EDIT: I'm uploading some stuff to Soundcloud right now...hopefully that will work better?!

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wesley.wittich » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Ok, here are the SoundCloud links...no downloads! Sorry if they're a little quiet...

Instrumental
http://soundcloud.com/wesley-wittich/untitled-1-to-mix

Bury Me Beneath the Willow
http://soundcloud.com/wesley-wittich/bu ... -willow-to

Loving You
http://soundcloud.com/wesley-wittich/losing-you-to-mix

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:32 am

I was excited once when the mastering engineer and I both thought a mix sounded better without EQ. I'd jump for joy over a mix that didn't need anything.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 am

Personally, I think what I've heard so far could use a little eq sculpting. Particularly the solo guitar thing. I can see not wanting to squash this stuff with compression, and in a way, that guitar is already almost too "present". but it sounds a little uneven to me and that guitar booms out in the upper bass/lower mids at times. The duet thing is really nice, but I think you could move some of the parts out of the way of the other parts very subtly with eq to good effect. I think you know, in your heart of hearts that you could to do a bit more work on this, or you wouldn't have posted here.
Carl Keil

wesley.wittich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wesley.wittich » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:48 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Personally, I think what I've heard so far could use a little eq sculpting. Particularly the solo guitar thing. I can see not wanting to squash this stuff with compression, and in a way, that guitar is already almost too "present". but it sounds a little uneven to me and that guitar booms out in the upper bass/lower mids at times. The duet thing is really nice, but I think you could move some of the parts out of the way of the other parts very subtly with eq to good effect. I think you know, in your heart of hearts that you could to do a bit more work on this, or you wouldn't have posted here.
This is probably exactly what I needed to hear... This is the first full project I've done by myself, so I'm not super experienced. EQ is probably my weakest point... When you say 'move some of the parts out of the way' using eq, do you just mean that if the vocals are in the 200-400 Hz range I maybe cut some of that from the guitars, and stuff like that?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 am

WesleyScott wrote:When you say 'move some of the parts out of the way' using eq, do you just mean that if the vocals are in the 200-400 Hz range I maybe cut some of that from the guitars, and stuff like that?
Exactly. In music like this I want to hear the singer's epiglottis shaking in time to the music AND I want to hear some finger squeaks on the fretboard, if there are any. Make sure your monitoring is great before you do it. Or, check it on about 5 different systems. I'm only listening on decent computer speakers, but I figure that's OK for this since your main listeners won't be in studios either. Also, to be clear, I'm only talking about a db here and there. Maybe more in one or two spots on that solo guitar thingy. I think the solo guitar (and maybe the others?) might benefit from some fader moves too. Also, convert it all the way down to CD quality and/or mp3 and make sure you still like what you hear.
Carl Keil