anybody know what part this is from a Tascam 424 mkII?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Neal
gettin' sounds

anybody know what part this is from a Tascam 424 mkII?

Post by Neal » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 pm

So I was all fired up to record some shit with my trusty old Portastudio, but when I picked it up I heard something rattling inside. I cracked it open and found this. I can't tell where it came from and I don't know what the hell it is. Anybody know this one?

There's something else rattling around in there too, but I couldn't get it out. I didn't disconnect the wire harnesses connecting the top to the bottom because, although I've used this device for many years, I've never had to open it up and I really don't know shit about electronics so I don't like pokin around in stuff too much.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 am

I'm gonna guess it's a retaining clip for a something, mebbe a jack?

That would explain the rattling noise - whatever it holds is loose.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 am

thanks, but all the jacks seem to be fine. the rattling noise is something inside that falls from one end to the other when I turn it vertically or end-over-end (if that makes any sense). So there's something in there still that's totally free.

I'll double check the jacks and do a little more investigating.

anthonypage
audio school

Post by anthonypage » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:34 am

I have little to add, except I had the same piece floating around inside my 424mkII. I haven't been able to find where it goes, but everything still works fine so I've left everything as is.

Is everything still operational on yours?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:18 pm

1. Retaining Clip for wiring
2. Retaining clip for outer chassis
3. Retaining clip for motherboard.
4. Retaining clip for transport.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:52 pm

anthonypage wrote:I have little to add, except I had the same piece floating around inside my 424mkII. I haven't been able to find where it goes, but everything still works fine so I've left everything as is.
It might be a "feature", to contribute to "that lo-fi" sound when it bounces around creating random noise and shorts ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Just a guess, but it looks very much like a spring that would seat underneath a button of some sort; are all the buttons on the unit popping up like they're supposed to?

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: anybody know what part this is from a Tascam 424 mkII?

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:18 am

Neal wrote: So I was all fired up to record some shit with my trusty old Portastudio, but when I picked it up I heard something rattling inside. I cracked it open and found this. I can't tell where it came from and I don't know what the hell it is. Anybody know this one?

There's something else rattling around in there too, but I couldn't get it out. I didn't disconnect the wire harnesses connecting the top to the bottom because, although I've used this device for many years, I've never had to open it up and I really don't know shit about electronics so I don't like pokin around in stuff too much.
Here's a tutorial on opening one up, and installing a new motor:

Replacing a non-operational motor on a Tascam Portastudio 424 MKII

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:50 am

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Hey thanks everybody who replied. Turns out vvv was right. It is indeed a retaining clip for a jack. One of the 1/4" jacks, to be precise. Dug pretty deep into the unit to figure it out. Basically ended up rebuilding the fucker. It was due for a good cleaning anyway. Thanks shedshrine for the links. I'm usually not one to take electronics apart because I really don't know what I'm doing, but I couldn't stand not having this thing in working order. If it would have been just the one clip rattling around in there, I might have let it go, but I heard other stuff bangin' around, so I figured I better try to fix it before I plug it in, short something out and blow it up.
Split it open:
First clip was laying on the silver shield thing covering the guts of the mixer (on the right.) Other stuff was rattling under there. Better take that shield thing off:
Another clip laying there on the back side of the board in contact with the solder points. Still more rattling coming from under there. Separating the mixer guts from the plastic cover:
Bazinga! Retaining clips they are:
Metal plate covering the PC board needs to come off to get the rest of the loose shit out of there:
Five clips missing. For the life of me I could only find four of them. Must have made it's way out of the unit somehow...?
Clean it up and put it back together, hopefully ready to rock. Will have to wait to test it, getting late.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Boner suerte! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:28 pm

What...!..You mean you didn't swap out op-amps, caps, etc..?.... :lol: