Presonus 24-4-2 Studio-Live Digital mixing desk

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dave-H
pushin' record

Presonus 24-4-2 Studio-Live Digital mixing desk

Post by Dave-H » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:34 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has used this new digital board & the Presonus recording software either in the studio or live situations & what are your thought's on it. :?:

Dave Huffman :D
Will Drum For Money

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Anyone?? :?: :?:
Will Drum For Money

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 am

I played around with one....didn't work with it. But I was impressed with how easy it was to navigate, and how powerful the eq and compressors were.

It's a solid sounding, feeling machine. I'd take one.

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:49 am

I have found Sweetwater has about the best deal on this board. The price of $3299.00 is standard but they offer free shipping & if you ask you can get the recording software up graded for free or cheap. They have always treated me well & I have found the staff knows the products. :D

Dave Huffman 8)
Will Drum For Money

radmike
gimme a little kick & snare

Awesome

Post by radmike » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:04 pm

I've been working in the studio with the 16.4.2 for a couple years. Upgraded from a tascam 388 ( which I worked on for 10 years ).
The studiolive is amazing. Clean and honest preamps. Workflow and layout is super intuitive. EQs and compressors are useful on a lot more sources than I expected. Even the gate/expander on the 16.4.2 are great, I know the 24 has an expanded gate section, which looks pretty awesome.

I dig saving money on lack of flying faders, it's nice to have your hands back on the faders. Panning can only be done one track at a time unless you automate in the box. Overall it's a real fun machine that does what it says. Great sound, solid build, a few short comings, but nothing major. Support is solid, presonus is all about this line.

Over and out.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Seems with CAPTURE one can record more than 16 channels -- if so > how do mix with the faders ? Just the second/third/etc. 16 tracks are just switched in the software > like most controllers ??

Thinking of moving over from the Roland VS -- which has 48 channels at mixdown...

I'm sure the Live 24 will be showing up used ,,, in a few months .
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

radmike
gimme a little kick & snare

No

Post by radmike » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:10 am

It doesn't bank over. It's not really a controller, it acts more like an analog mixer. You can record as many tracks as you'd like. I think I can record up to 20 tracks at once with the 16.4.2.
Stem mixes are the answer for returning more channels than are available on your board. Just configure them in your software ( I use logic ).
The whole experience is a nice combo of hardware/software, in the box and out.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 am

I've used the 16.4.2 quite a bit with a band that I was doing live sound for last year. Overall, I thought that the board was pretty intuitive and had a lot of features. It allowed them to run without any outboard comps and effects and did a nice job as well. I have not used it as a recording interface however. I do own a few Presonus interfaces that I use and work well.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:19 am

I've used the Studiolive, both 16- and 24-channel versions, in live scenarios quite a few times, and I really really dig it for that: it sounds great, and it's super-easy and intuitive to use - and this coming from someone who hates digital boards as a general rule. I agree with radmike's characterization of the sound &etc., and (based on my somewhat limited experience) it works very well as an interface too. Don't expect it to work as seamlessly or intuitively as a control surface, though. Not that it doesn't work at all in that respect, just that it's not as amazingly insanely good or stupidly easy and intuitive with that as it is everything else.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Re: No

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 am

radmike wrote:It doesn't bank over. It's not really a controller, it acts more like an analog mixer. You can record as many tracks as you'd like. I think I can record up to 20 tracks at once with the 16.4.2.
Stem mixes are the answer for returning more channels than are available on your board. Just configure them in your software ( I use logic ).
The whole experience is a nice combo of hardware/software, in the box and out.
Well, looks like we will be staying with our automated ROlAND board for awhile then . Shame the Presonus doesn't bank over --- the VS is a great magic box in that respect ~! The 2480 is fairly simple, & with enough knobs/buttons to keep one off the mouse :lol:

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 pm

I think the Ramsa DA7 might be more your speed cjogo.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Remember when the RAMSA first hit the NAMM --but the Roland & Akai's included a recorder --- so we went that route.

I believe REAPER works now with the Roland board --- there is a card that connects ...since there is no USB I/O interface with the VS . Something new to learn :evil: We can probably hire someone who has that aptitude === I don't like software snags :wink:

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:42 am

Using this board ( via Lynx Aurora ) for inputs tomorrows session -- only wish they would use it for mixdown ..... but, then I don't have to engineer 8)

Really thought the Presonus 24 was my ticket out of the Roland .... but still lacking the parameters of the VS & the cost :D

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:45 am

Well I think I have Mama talked into " letting" me order the 24-4-2!! :o
I will keep you all updated!

Dave Huffman :D
Will Drum For Money