OSX Lion -- Out Now For the Brave -- Discuss!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goose42
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by goose42 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks! The computer's definitely a noticeable upgrade over my previous machine (SandyBridge being one important component), though I would have preferred to stay on Snow Leopard - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I did speak a little too soon about one thing - KingDubby works fine, but its settings won't stick (even if saved as a preset) after closing and reopening a project, and they won't stick during a bounce. I can't really complain because it's freeware, though I'd pay for a working version of the plug. I think it may be a GUI problem; the developers based their GUI on something called Cocoa, which isn't supposed to play well with DP.

But even by being a DP user for general engineering projects, I'm in a pretty slim minority :)
Cheers,
Stephen "Goose" Trageser
bucketcitymobilesound.squarespace.com

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 am

I'm not sure about the refreshed Minis and Airs, but there's no reason why Snow Leopard wouldn't run on your MBP -- my 2011 MBP came with Snow Leopard and I upgraded to Lion. Just a thought, in case you do start to run into more trouble down the road.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:30 am

I'm thinking of buying an Apogee Duet 2, and I am running Lion now. According to the Apogee website, it is still in beta now. Does anyone have any recommendations? Should I wait?

johndan
audio school

Post by johndan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I didn't see that anyone had posted this yet, but A&H finally released drivers for the Zed R16 that were Lion compatible. The instructions on how to install them are awful; below's a slightly edited version of a reply I posted earlier to Gearslutz (that included some info from user tsunchoo there) in case this info is useful to anyone.

I should note that I installed the drivers and firmware about 12 hours ago on two hours of sleep (probably a bad idea), so I'm not making any guarantees; the process seemed to work for me.

The drivers are the "Software" tab on this page:

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/ ... tId=ZEDR16

- Johndan

1. You have to download one of the earlier installers from A&H's site to find an uninstaller; there's not one in the 10.7 installer file you just downloaded. I downloaded several earlier installations but the previous uninstallers weren't able to find anything to uninstall.

2. Per the driver install instructions, disconnect your R16 from your computer.

3. When you unzip the archive file (named "ZEDR16Mac_10.7_Drivers_Firmware_V3.5.6.11675.zip") you get a folder confusingly named "ZEDR16Mac_10.5_10.6_Drivers_Firmware_V3.5.6.675".

4. Inside that folder, there's a zipped archive called "MAC_AllenAndHeathFW_V3.5.6.11675.zip". Unzip that to get another folder with the driver .dmg in it. Double click to open and run the driver installer.

The installer puts the DICE drivers on your computer, but the control panel is no longer called DICE. It's now an app named "AllenAndHeathFW Control Panel."

5. There's a firmware archive in that folder as well called "ZEDR_16V3.5.6.11675.zip". Double-click that to extract a .bin file that's the firmware.

6. You can use the A&H Control Panel (app) to upload the .bin file to your R16 and update the firmware.

- Johndan