1960's EKO Electric Hollowbody Bass Worth Buying?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

highway51
pluggin' in mics

1960's EKO Electric Hollowbody Bass Worth Buying?

Post by highway51 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:52 am

Hey Everyone I was just in a shop that had an electric hollowbody bass made by eko from the 1960's. I see quite a few eko guitars on ebay for alot of money but does anyone know what these are worth or if they are worth buying? It has two pickups and two f holes way down at the bottom of the guitar -It sounds great to me. It pretty much sounds like 60's bass Paul Mcartney's bass or the band grass roots.
They're asking 500?$ What would you pay, I doubt I'll ever see another one of these.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:44 am

If you love the way it sounds, then it is worth it to you.

But if you are secretly more interested in it's resale value, than it's sound, then maybe pass on it.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:38 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:If you love the way it sounds, then it is worth it to you.

But if you are secretly more interested in it's resale value, than it's sound, then maybe pass on it.
This.

I don't know the value of that model, but it seems pretty high. I wouldn't buy one as an investment, but if it looked and sounded cool, and priced well below what one can expect to pay for a decent name brand modern bass, then I'd consider it. the fact that it is in a shop for $500 leads me to believe that they know what it's worth and I'd bet it's under $500.. Check Guitar Center.com used gear, Allofcraigs.com and eBay completed listings for the most accurate up to date pricing info, and if you find some going for less and still want to buy, use those as a negotiating tool.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:27 pm

There's one listed on eBay for $600 that's pretty rough. If the one you are looking at is in good shape, is all original, and has it's original case, $500 pretty fair. See if you can't get it for $400, which is what a new Hofner CT Club cost.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:49 am

that sounds about right. eko basses don't go for that much, i'd say 600 and under you're fine. as long as you like it and it doesn't have any problems or issues, you're fine.

just be careful those are made with "cheaper" construction, so really look hard to see if there are any cracks in the body or neck. make sure the neck is straight and not warped. make sure the truss rod (if it has one) works and has room either way to adjust. make sure the electronics all work.

i'm also a bassist and love the vintage stuff, enjoy!

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Eko for the majority of their run were produced in italy. Those guitars are really pretty awesome. Funky pickups, glitter wrap finishes etc. Some of their guitars are pretty sought after....some not at all.

Check out what's available on gbase.com for an "idea" of where the price should sit.

highway51
pluggin' in mics

Post by highway51 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 pm

The bass was never used its in the original bag with the strap still in its sealed bag. The brand name on is actually Juiliette/gillette? the accordion company in italy but it was clearly made by eko.
After playing the bass a little I just realized the 60's bass sound had so much to do with the type of bass your playing as opposed to how it was recorded.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:37 am

What I love so much about antiquated electric guitar's and basses is the mojo happening with the pickups. I have one of those 1979 Vantage basses (Alembic style), made at the Matsumoku factory in Japan and it's Rickenbacker-flavored tonality and edge [IMO] starts with the quality of the pups and the magnets in them. Another guitar I have that drips with mojo is a '62 Harmony, again, the pickups are incredible on this guitar. I'm always stupified by the microphonics and when boosting the amps Gain a little it just rips and roars - becomes an entirely different beast all together. Even through a fairly modern hybrid amp...nothing special really.

My guess is $500 will be worth it to you. Especially since you've had a chance to hold it, inspect it, play it, and hear it. Let us know if you decide to pick it up. I, for one, would love to see photos.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:38 am

good call kenny, the way the pickups age is where its at. my 69 fender jazz sounds amazing. i've heard all the "wound to vintage specs" pickups and they sound completely different.

the way electronics age is something i also love.

so did you get the eko? pics please :)

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Here's my favorite appearance of (I think) an Eko bass from days gone by....

Ten points if you can name the player...

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 am

Keith Olson. Google is your friend. Don't gimme no points, too easy.

As for the Eko, watch the neck joint and make sure the electronics get cleaned. The switches and jack can get a bit funky on you.

I have two basses for recording, a bass I built using Warmoth and Zolla parts, generic P-bass with Jazz neck and extra bridge pickup.

And, an old East German hollowbody bass made by Musima. It still has the flat wound strings it shipped with. There is really no substitute for an old European hollowbody bass with flat wounds, every studio should have one.

For a NOS Eko I think $500 is not too bad. I remember many years ago somebody bought the contents of a warehouse of Eko guitars owned by the DeLucas and NOS Ekos were everywhere. They have not appreciated to absurd levels, still a good buy. If you like the one you are considering just get it.

Have fun!!
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Freakmagnet451 wrote:Keith Olson. Google is your friend.
It's "Olsen", as in the producer of "Fleetwood Mac", and the Faithful Fed's "Terrapin Station"....

But that little bass fill in "Talk Talk" has gotta be his best work.... :wink:

highway51
pluggin' in mics

Post by highway51 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:09 am

I'm not a bass player but a songwriter/guitar player/ engineer and my bass player has been playing his 1300$ fender jazz bass which I have yet to be impressed with. I was debating between getting a good dynamic (senn421/ev20/) or some more pedals and this thing came across my path. I doubt I'll ever see this model eko bass again, everyone keeps posting pictures of eko's viloin basses but that is not what this is. Imagine a hollowbody guitar with f-holes starting at the bridge or below, wait it gets weirder. Now instead of a toggle switch for the pickups and tone they put in springloaded buttons off of an accordion. I apologize I'll post a picture soon if it's not gone.

highway51
pluggin' in mics

Post by highway51 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:31 am

Reckon what I am driving at is I've never played many older basses but the pickups combined with the flat wounds that are currently on this thing sound amazing to me. The new solid body basses don't seem to have much going for them in the ways of mojo.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 am

highway51 wrote:Reckon what I am driving at is I've never played many older basses but the pickups combined with the flat wounds that are currently on this thing sound amazing to me. The new solid body basses don't seem to have much going for them in the ways of mojo.
That's the natural difference though between hollow body and solid body electrics. By way of microphonics (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the pickups put out the characteristics created by the acoustic chambers in the guitar, adding resonance and air to the output signal. They're completely different animals. Then when you figure in the antiquated electronics and pickups (beautifully aged magnets), you have a recipe for mojo.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna