Good cheap and small bass amp for recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Does anyone know how the Ampeg mini stacks stack up?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Does anyone know how the Ampeg mini stacks stack up?
I was literally just looking at them online tonight. I haven't had the chance to try one out, but every sound sample I've heard has been pretty impressive. I believe that Micro VR will be my next bass amp when that moves to the top of my priorities list.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:54 am

pignose, check them out as well. they have a super cheap all tube 100w combo with a 15" speaker. they also just have the head. used they go super cheap.

i'm thinking i'm going for the fender bassman ten or traynor yba-2 bassmate combo. well see what happens. i'm on the hunt as well, my days on the road are over so i'm looking mainly for something great for the studio.

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 am

You are on the right track with the Fender Champ, Class A single ended tube amps can have amazing and beautiful low end if you don't push them too hard.

Look for a homemade champ clone on ebay with a larger output transformer. Try putting a 6550 in the output, a 5ar4 in the rectifier and a 5751 in the preamp.

I had a Frenzel and an Emerysound Stagebaby with Superbaby option and both of them made amazing low volume bass amps.
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"