"Trust Me, I'm A Scientist" Issue #1 Out Today!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

"Trust Me, I'm A Scientist" Issue #1 Out Today!

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:34 am

Hello fellow scientists of sound! The new once-monthly music magazine "Trust Me, I'm A Scientist" officially turns zero today!

Thanks to you, we've already had a killer beta run with over 1,000 visitors and hundreds of signups in the month of July.

I'm happy to report that the August issue is now out and ready for reading. In it, you'll find:

-->A fresh listen to an overlooked classic from the Ventures' days in Japan.
-->A comprehensive drum-tuning guide for producers and engineers.
-->The story of "The Mad Genius of Manchester", Factory Records producer Martin Hannett (Joy Division, Buzzcocks, New Order).
-->A 3-part pre-mastering checklist suitable for everyday engineers and home recordists alike. (Written by mastering engineer Scott Craggs - MoreSpaceEcho here on the TOMB)
-->"Behind The Release" interviews featuring Booker T. Jones (Stax), Gabe Roth (Daptone), Nicolas Vernhes (Dirty Projectors, Fiery Furnaces, Bjork), and Sondre Lerche. Plus more stories and bonus videos!

Please enjoy,

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:52 am

good stuff. the gabe roth on booker t article was great. i love all the questlove ADD on drum tones, hilarious.

the mastering article was very interesting, great stuff to note.

thanks

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks, glad you're digging it! That Booker one was fun to do, and yeah I really liked Scott's piece too. Maybe I can convince him to do another down the line. I think I managed to twist his arm and get Tony (drumsound) to agree to contribute one next month. Psyched about that one too. Stay tuned!

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Awesome! Completely flippin awesome!
I am the Walnut

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 am

This was great to read....Looking forward to more. Joy Division is one of my all time favorite bands. That was a good article about Martin Hannett.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:24 am

Thanks! There will be another one next month - and every month for the foreseeable future. Stay tuned!

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:07 pm

cool stuff! i read the entire drum tuning article and i dont even drum or really ever record drums! also, cool to see the Sondre Lerche interview. im a big fan.

studiodog
alignin' 24-trk

thanks!!

Post by studiodog » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Great site - the parallel compression and drum tuning articles are worth reading.... thanks :!:
"...because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Loved the drum tuning article. I actually just started on a regimen retuning my drums a lot to force myself to get better. That article, written from the point of view of "most articles/instructions make it sound more simple than it is" is very helpful. Great stuff.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:27 pm

jgimbel wrote: I actually just started on a regimen retuning my drums a lot to force myself to get better.
that is a great thing to do. and after you spend hours tuning drums, treat yourself to something nice: tune a guitar. it will be the easiest thing you ever do.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 am

Good stuff, gentlemen!