Cheap super gooey stereo flanger?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Cheap super gooey stereo flanger?

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Hey all! I have an old MXR flanger/doubler which I love,but am trying to find a low budget hardware stereo flanger that can get super gooey (for lack of a better word) I've got a line on an old spx 90 (know it works,but noisy),
boss se 50,and an old lexicon lxp-5. I owned a lxp1 and 5,and loved them,but the only way to edit easily was with the mrc unit,and I know the lxp 5 is a pain in the ass to edit without the mrc unit. Any suggestions?
I am the Walnut

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:18 pm

I actually loved the DOD FX75 from the mid 80's...'84/'85/'86

Also loved the DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus from the same period.

Much quieter than the MXR's, stomped them IMHO. Much wider imaging, higher quality components. More depth & dimension, more movement. YMMV
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:26 pm

DOD FX 75 rocks. I also have a cheap digitech rack unit that is mono in stereo out that I love. For something readily available I'd recommend an hex stereo mistress.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:34 pm

I've been patching my SPX90 on occasion for some weirder sounds for over a year now. I have never thought of it as noisy. Definitely does a stereo flange thing, or a stereo chorus. I'm not a real connoisseur of flange but I was requested to distort and flange some back up vocals in a mix session a couple days ago, I used the SPX90 (for the flange part) and was surprised that the crazy idea/ signal chain worked perfectly. The customer is right more often than we think.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:51 am

Dynacord DRP-15. Excellent flangers and modulation effects. Plus, some really good reverbs. The price on those things seems to seing pretty wildly, but occasionally you can find a good deal on one.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 am

Another recipe for gooey is to put a little delay and a little flange on the Deltalab 1024 delay print a mono version of this setting. Next adjust delay time and depth/rate of chorus and print a different version to another track. Hard pan those two. Whoaaaah!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:26 am

Got Tape Machine?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 am

The Lexicon LXP-15 II has some good flangers (as well as a bunch of other effects) and is easier to tweak than the LXP-5. You can probably get one for $100-$150.

You can also try a Lexicon MXP-100, which gives you a lot less flexibility but can be had for $40-$50.

Two mono delay units is also a cool method, but gets a bit pricer. SDE-3000 and PCM-42 are awesome at it, but I'm sure a pair of Deltalab units or maybe even a SDE-1000 (which is significantly cheaper than the SDE-3000) would do the trick.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Re: Cheap super gooey stereo flanger?

Post by germaniac » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:Hey all! I have an old MXR flanger/doubler which I love,but am trying to find a low budget hardware stereo flanger that can get super gooey (for lack of a better word) I've got a line on an old spx 90 (know it works,but noisy),
boss se 50,and an old lexicon lxp-5. I owned a lxp1 and 5,and loved them,but the only way to edit easily was with the mrc unit,and I know the lxp 5 is a pain in the ass to edit without the mrc unit. Any suggestions?
Well, I have to agree "gooey" isn't quite right--that makes me think more of a phaser. I recently had a chance to try that MXR unit and thought it did a pretty intense flange especially in INVERT mode. However, not stereo, but that could easily be cured by running through something like a stereo "Dimension" type effect. As for low budget, my take on flangers is they're sort of like transformers: the more expensive they are, the better they sound. I'd have to second the suggestion of using two hardware delays and sweeping one. I use two Ibanez AD-202s to do this, but you could just as well get hold of a couple of Digitech RDS1900s for next to nothing. Still not stereo though. . . .

Joe

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Yamaha Rev 7? Those have got to be cheap these days. I always think of it as the SPX-90's bigger, more hifi brother. Sometimes it's noisy, sometimes it's not. I've got gain stage correctly into it. I think it's kindof faux stereo though. I have no idea if it is gooey or not.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I used to have 2 of the MXR flanger/doublers ( 1 finally caught fire),and used to do the ABBA thing on the stereo acoustic buss,also used 2 of them on drum buss occasionally for ELO fun,now just use the 1 as a time aligner/slight sweeper on Bass DI,blending with mic,to tape. I only submix because I'm analog 8 track,then into the computer. I love the movement with a super slow sweep
against the mic signal. Having said that- Been listening to some old Tones On Tail (circa 84/85),and almost all the bass has some super slow sweep stuff going on (heavy regeneration),with a short delay,and just adds some sexy movement,without sounding like a chorusy wobble. Being an old analog fart,I cant get my rocks off playing into a plug in (gtr,bass,drums),jumbling with the mouse,and pretending anything fun is happening.. Stuck on a quest 4 goo.
I am the Walnut

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:04 pm

I love the DIGITECH XTF X-Series Turbo Flanger ( 7 Mode Flanger Pedal. ) Lots of tweakability and I can always get the goo I going for.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:23 am

I love the flangers in the Kurzweil Mangler.