So I bought Pro Tools 9...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

So I bought Pro Tools 9...

Post by sad iron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Been a while since I posted here. Anyone still out there?

After many years, the advent of ProTools 9 has led me to purchasing said software for the first time. I have spent most of my time doing this recording thing POed that I had to buy their hardware to use the program, so I didn't. I have been a happy Logic 9 user for a while and DP before that.

But recently I started tracking some in another studio that runs PT, so I thought I'd pick it up. I ended up getting an Mbox Mini and a full version of PT 9. I was looking for a solid USB interface and heard the new Mboxes were good.The whole package, after GC discounts was less than a version of PT 9 on its own.

The new Mbox is great sounding. That much I can say for sure. I like a lot that I figured out re; PT so far, but there's still a lot i have to figure out. The way the runs busses is a lot different than Logic. I gotta figure out if it can do the swipe comping I'm used to. Can't fully understand where the playhead is going. But it's early days. I just ran my first session with it today.

One thing I can say: it comes a lot more barebones than Logic. I was expecting a comparable complement of plugs and instruments. Logic is a full-service program. You could never buy anything eles and make great records with Logic. The Protools bundle seems fine/great, there's just not much of it.

In closing, if you want PT 9, buy the Mbox Mini package. Even if you don't need the interface, its the same price as the software, basically.

And if you have suggestions on getting up to speed, I'm all ears.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:47 am

Under the Options menu you'll see Edit Window Scrolling with several different scrolling options. "Insertion Follows Playback" (the button just below the pencil tool) also affects the playhead behavior.

IMO multi-lane editing in Pro Tools still has a ways to go before it is anywhere near as good as Logic's quick swipe comping which is just absolutely brilliant.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:15 pm

No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote:Under the Options menu you'll see Edit Window Scrolling with several different scrolling options. "Insertion Follows Playback" (the button just below the pencil tool) also affects the playhead behavior.

IMO multi-lane editing in Pro Tools still has a ways to go before it is anywhere near as good as Logic's quick swipe comping which is just absolutely brilliant.
Argh. I was hoping PT had something just like quick swipe. I have pretended to be a genius many times thanks to that software. I'll have to research multilane editing a little .

Thanks for the info.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:36 am

sad iron wrote:
No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote:Under the Options menu you'll see Edit Window Scrolling with several different scrolling options. "Insertion Follows Playback" (the button just below the pencil tool) also affects the playhead behavior.

Argh. I was hoping PT had something just like quick swipe. I have pretended to be a genius many times thanks to that software. I'll have to research multilane editing a little .

Thanks for the info.
It should have it. I use it often. I am using the HD version, which does have all the features. I do not know for sure if the regular 9 has this.

Check by looking in the edit window, clicking on the little triangle at the bottom of the track view, which is on the leftmost end of the edit window. there should be an option to see automation lanes, and in that view see "playlists" which is Pro tools way of saying takes. You access the playlist view just like an automation lane view. When doing loop recording, you can set up Pro Tools to automatically make a new playlist each time you start over, "auto create playlists when loop recording" or something named similarly, which is a preference under the "preferences" pane, under the options menu. Otherwise you can manually create a new playlist for each take, if not doing loop recording. Either way works.

Once you open the playlist window, the little "s" on each take allows you to only listen to that take, and NOt the "Master" take, which is the topmost track. this is your "comping" track, where your edit choices will play together. Like the take folder in Logic, except here you get to see the audio just like any other track.

Try it out.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
It should have it. I use it often. I am using the HD version, which does have all the features. I do not know for sure if the regular 9 has this.

Check by looking in the edit window, clicking on the little triangle at the bottom of the track view, which is on the leftmost end of the edit window. there should be an option to see automation lanes, and in that view see "playlists" which is Pro tools way of saying takes. You access the playlist view just like an automation lane view. When doing loop recording, you can set up Pro Tools to automatically make a new playlist each time you start over, "auto create playlists when loop recording" or something named similarly, which is a preference under the "preferences" pane, under the options menu. Otherwise you can manually create a new playlist for each take, if not doing loop recording. Either way works.

Once you open the playlist window, the little "s" on each take allows you to only listen to that take, and NOt the "Master" take, which is the topmost track. this is your "comping" track, where your edit choices will play together. Like the take folder in Logic, except here you get to see the audio just like any other track.

Try it out.
Cool. I will. Thanks!

Would it be possible to add individual takes not included in a playlist , like 2 separate takes of the same part to one of these deals? When we tracked, the engineer put multiple vocal takes on their own tracks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 am

sad iron wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:

Try it out.
Cool. I will. Thanks!

Would it be possible to add individual takes not included in a playlist , like 2 separate takes of the same part to one of these deals? When we tracked, the engineer put multiple vocal takes on their own tracks.
Yes.

Every track is actually a playlist.

1.- Choose the track that will be your "master" audio track.

2.- Create a New playlist on this track, label it "TBE"...

3.- Go back to viewing the original playlist on this same master track.

4.- Go to the "slave" track, and change the playlist to the "TBE" playlist track, hiding the track you wanted to keep.

5.- Go back to your "master" audio track, and change the playlist to the "slave" track playlist. this will make both your master and slave playlists coexist on the same audio track from now on.

6.- Go to your TBE track, and delete it. When prompted DO NOT ERASE ANY ALTERNATE PLAYLISTS.

Done.

It reads more complicated than it really is.

Cheers

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but I recorded a few songs in PT and created new playlists for each take. Not sure if that was the correct way to do it, but is there a way that I can change each track at once to the next take/playlist.

Thanks

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Trick Fall wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but I recorded a few songs in PT and created new playlists for each take. Not sure if that was the correct way to do it, but is there a way that I can change each track at once to the next take/playlist.

Thanks
Press the option key while changing the playlist for a track, and they all change.

BUT... the best way to do this is to create a track group, then anytime you change playlists, the whole group changes. This is a changeable option in your group settings pane.

Cheers