Bought a Tascam 238, looking for a demagnetizer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Bought a Tascam 238, looking for a demagnetizer

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 am

So this Tascam 238 (8-track cassette multitrack) is pretty fun and I want to make sure that I'm doing any necessary maintenance on it. The seller gave me some head cleaner and roller cleaner that I'll be using regularly. The manual also says to regularly demagnetize the heads and I'm wondering if this would work for that purpose:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZK ... d_i=507846

It says it's universal but I figure I'll check with you all first. Besides cleaning the heads, pinch roller, and using a demagnetizer - is there anything else that should be included in the maintenance routine?

Thanks!
Ryan

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 am

this is what i have and use, it's great :)

http://usrecordingmedia.com/handmagdebyr.html

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Your demagnetizer from Amazon.com would probably work fine on your cassette multitrack. It may not have enough power to demag a reel-to-reel, the Han-D-Mag and the Tascam-brand demagnetizers are better for that.

Remember to turn it on while away from the deck, then bring it close to the heads, tape path and guides, then away from the deck and then turn off. The slower your movements, the better.

Other than q-tips & alcohol, you're set.

I found it best to clean the heads before each session, and again at the end. Find the highest percentage alcohol (91%+, ethyl or isopropyl) from your local drug store.

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks for the info. When I run out of the head cleaner that I got with the 238, I would use the drug store alcohol you mention to clean JUST the heads then?

This link I just found recommends using Windex as a substitute for the roller/rubber cleaner:

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/forum/i ... 272.0;wap2

Does that sound like good advice to you?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:12 pm

My de-mag looks the same, works well.

Vodker is good to clean the head. Oh, and the tape heads. :twisted:

Be careful re the rollers - look for a commercial cleaner (Rat Shack?) as the rubber can dry out. (I usually use distilled water and a cue tip, and the motor to turn the roller as I do.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Ryan Ferris wrote:Thanks for the info. When I run out of the head cleaner that I got with the 238, I would use the drug store alcohol you mention to clean JUST the heads then?

This link I just found recommends using Windex as a substitute for the roller/rubber cleaner:

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/forum/i ... 272.0;wap2

Does that sound like good advice to you?
Actually diluted windex would be safer. I use warm water and lots of q-tips to clean the pinch roller.

Yes, the alcohol should just be used on the heads, tape guides & other metal parts.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:30 pm

" says it's universal but I figure I'll check with you all first. Besides cleaning the heads, pinch roller, and using a demagnetizer - is there anything else that should be included in the maintenance routine?

Thanks!
Ryan "

Hello..I had the 238 when they first came out ..Very decent machines..!.As far as maintenance tips goes, I always would fast forward the new cassettes, then rewind a couple times, then clean the heads etc.."BEFORE" recording..If there is loose particles of oxide left from the manufacturer, this will help get it gone before you scar up your heads..!.. :x ..( been there, done that... :wink: )..Good luck and congrats..!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:03 pm

http://soundcloud.com/cjogo/i-kiss-the-rain 80's Tascam 238 --

We made lots of tunes with that machine ~! Remember to use short tapes .. preferably one per song. Transport will thank you.. 8) We bought 15 minute max cassettes.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Sweet! Thanks for all of the info folks. I love this board.