I wanna replace my Mackie hr624s. Dynaudio, Focal, Adam???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jettison
gettin' sounds

I wanna replace my Mackie hr624s. Dynaudio, Focal, Adam???

Post by Jettison » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:10 am

It's time to move on from my Mackie hr624s. I've read some reviews and posts and am leaning towards the Dynaudio bm6 mkIIs. How do they compair with Focal cms 65s, Adam ax7s (all in the same $15-1700 ballpark)?
Just out of curiosity, how do any of you feel about Mackie 624s? I've had mine for many years and they've been good enough to not throw away but that's it.
I do rock'n'roll mostly so which ones should I get, Dynaudio, Focal, or ADAMs?
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:19 am

I've not worked on Adams or Focal, but have heard them. I worked twice on Dynaudio BM15. IMNSHO the Dynaudio monitors are the most overrated, harsh sounding pieces of crap made. I'd rather have my Mackies back than use those things. Adams sounded really bland to me, but the Focal stuff I've heard sounds great.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:40 am

drumsound wrote:...Adams sounded really bland to me, ...
that's the advantage. you don't want monitors that enhance your mixes. you want them to reveal the problems.
and the folded ribbon tweeters make for great transient clarity with out being fatiguing.

(i chose Adam when i upgraded back in the spring, by the way)
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:28 am

I like the Adams. I have not used the A series. But the ribbon tweeter I really like. I can mix for a long time without being overly fatigued. The Dynaudio speakers are not my favorite. Had a pair of the 15s and got rid of them after a while. Sounded great on my stereo but had a hard time mixing with them.

I am a bit old school. I have a set Tannoy NFM 8s and Genelec S30 ribbons along with NS10s. I use the NS10s just to do a final check. But the ribbon of the genelec is very nice and I can mix a long time on them.

Just my thoughts.

Mike
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 am

Obligatory acoustic treatment post: if you don't already have a treated room, make sure to include some room treatment in your budget. This makes at least as much of a difference as changing speakers, in many cases more so.

I'm very much to the point where I'd rather listen in a treated room with average speakers than an untreated room with great speakers.

That said, I love my DynAudio speakers, though I built them nearly 20 years ago when Dyn was still selling drivers, haven't mixed on the new active Dyns. Also some friends have Adam (SR3As I think) and they sound great.

coolnm57
audio school graduate

Re: I wanna replace my Mackie hr624s. Dynaudio, Focal, Adam?

Post by coolnm57 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm using Focal CMS50's and adore these things. They still have some indie cred left, too.

+1 on acoustic treatment.

Also budget for a matching sub no matter which speaks you buy. This has been the biggest issue for me between room/car/ipod mixes, and I am still hurtin for that extra $1k sub.

But whatever you get, it'll be an upgrade so congrats!
Nick Cool
Mono y Mono Records
www.monoymonorecords.com

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 pm

There's no question that Focal is the way to go, especially in your price range. The CMS series is fantastic but the question you really need to ask yourself is based on your room size and room treatment do you need the CMS65's or the CMS50's? Both will do the job very nicely and you don't want speakers that are too big for your room.

For example, if you are in a bedroom that is 10x10 and sitting in the corner of the room, the CMS50's will be the right fit. If you have a proper setup and a 12x15 or larger room you'll want the CMS65's.

Bear in mind that there is a serious backlog of orders on the CMS65's right now and even if you place your order today, you'll be on a waiting list to receive your speakers in about 30-45 days. The CMS50's are available now.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:09 pm

drumsound wrote:IMNSHO the Dynaudio monitors are the most overrated, harsh sounding pieces of crap made.
I might not go that far, but they're definitely on the bright and aggressive side. I don't get them meself - some people seem to.
drumsound wrote:Adams sounded really bland to me, but the Focal stuff I've heard sounds great.
I'm gonna have to agree with jnTracks and say "that's kinda the point!". They're like full-bandwith, non-spikey NS-10s. Not super-duper pleasant, but a great mixing tool. If I had to do a mix on just a single set of full-bandwith near-fields I would probably go for Adams.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm

fossiltooth wrote:
drumsound wrote:IMNSHO the Dynaudio monitors are the most overrated, harsh sounding pieces of crap made.
I might not go that far, but they're definitely on the bright and aggressive side. I don't get them meself - some people seem to.
drumsound wrote:Adams sounded really bland to me, but the Focal stuff I've heard sounds great.
I'm gonna have to agree with jnTracks and say "that's kinda the point!". They're like full-bandwith, non-spikey NS-10s. Not super-duper pleasant, but a great mixing tool. If I had to do a mix on just a single set of full-bandwith near-fields I would probably go for Adams.
I understand and agree with the theory, and I've only heard the ADAMS, but not worked on them.

I think, if I'm going to work long hours on something, I'd like to at least enjoy the things, even if they are telling my what's wrong and right with my mixes. I'd probably not hate ADAMS or other such monitors (though I do HATE NS10s). But I think good mixes can be had on monitors that are a pleasure to listen to, as well.

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:40 am

Adams, Focals, or F em all and go B&W with a Bryston amp.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:42 am

JBL LSR 4328

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/P ... d=28&MId=5

I LOVE MINE.

I can work all day at moderate levels, and the mixes translate very well to other systems.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Still using the Event SP8 in our studios .. very smooth for our ears ..
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Correction: I've used the 824's not the 624s. So.... nevermind I guess

Over the last couple years of using the Mackie 624's I've really grown to dislike them.

The Adams I used in the same studio were awesome and translated to other systems a lot better.

Haven't used the other two.