How does one embed ISRC to WAV?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FevinKraser
audio school

How does one embed ISRC to WAV?

Post by FevinKraser » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to the process of embedding ISRC to mastered WAVs before duplication, or if it's possible at all.

The guy who mastered my record is just starting off and hadn't heard of them before. I myself have wavlab and cubase. I tried using a program called Kid3 to embed the information, but it didn't stick when i played the cd in another computer.

I can convert the files into something other than WAV, but I didn't want to make all the duplicates from a CDR burned with MP3s.

are ISRC codes absolutely necessary? is there any other way to make sure the titles and info of my record's songs will come up on other computers?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much for your time

fevin

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:30 pm

The ISRC codes are burned into the CD, not the wav files. You can do this in wavelab.

You can also do CD text in wavelab.

BTW, mastering isn't 'making things loud', it's assembling the album and making a duplication-ready copy. That would include CD text, ISRC codes, PQ sheet, song transitions, etc... If your mastering engineer has never heard of ISRC codes, he doesn't actually know anything about mastering.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:47 pm

ISRC has nothing to do with whether or not the info shows up in another computer when you insert the disc. You need to research CD TEXT, and CDDB. And, you need to look further into ISRC, too.

sessionsatstudiom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sessionsatstudiom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Here is a link to http://www.usisrc.org/

This tells you about ISRC. Not it is not 100% necessary. But I would look into CDDB.

Mike
Michael Maughan
http://www.sessionsatstudiom.com
an online recording school

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Re: How does one embed ISRC to WAV?

Post by Waltz Mastering » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 pm

FevinKraser wrote: are ISRC codes absolutely necessary? is there any other way to make sure the titles and info of my record's songs will come up on other computers?
Having isrc codes embedded on you cd is not imperative but is beneficial if you are planning on selling a lot of physical copies.

Here are instructions on how to upload the song titles - artist info to the cd data base (cddb) once the cd is replicated/duplicated:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2064817_missing ... tunes.html

Sean Shannon
pushin' record

Re: How does one embed ISRC to WAV?

Post by Sean Shannon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 am

Waltz Mastering wrote:
FevinKraser wrote: Having isrc codes embedded on you cd is not imperative but is beneficial if you are planning on selling a lot of physical copies.
I was under the impression that the ISRC codes were specifically for digital online tracking of downloads, not physical CD copies, and were required for itunes. The bar code was used for physical copies. Hmmm.
Check your mix in mono.
www.mixmonsterz.com

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:26 am

ISRC codes are traditionally generated and logged by the label, the only place you can put one is in a red book CD subcode. They were invented some time ago, probably before the first human ever thought of tracking online downloads. Radio stations, pressing plants and anyone obliged to pay a physical or publishing royalty can easily do so simply by logging the ISRC code.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Z-Plane wrote:ISRC codes are traditionally generated and logged by the label, the only place you can put one is in a red book CD subcode.
You can also tag mp3's and any digital file that supports id3.ie. Mp3, Mp4, M4a, Wma, Flac and Ogg. For some digital distributors' Ie. ITunes, CD Baby, Nimbit, Tuncore the client can provide their own codes to the service via their online submission forms. Some of these services will provide the codes as part of their agreement.

Codes embedded in a cd's TOC (table of contents) will not transfer to the mp3's that are made from the cd and have to be input to the mp3 as a separate process.

More info on isrc's here:
http://www.usisrc.org/