Hi Hats - is slight keyholing a problem?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Hi Hats - is slight keyholing a problem?

Post by jgimbel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

I've got a set of Z Custom hi hats and I'm looking for something different, and someone emailed me interested in trading mine for their K Custom Dark hats, which from the sounds I've heard are much more what I'm looking for. The only thing is he said the top hat has got some slight keyholing. No cymbal I've ever used has gotten that (which leads me to think maybe it wouldn't progress further if I had them), but I'm wondering if there is an issue with this that I'm not thinking of. If the keyholing was really bad I could see the top not sitting correctly on the bottom had, but from the pictures he sent me it doesn't look like it's that severe at all, so I'm thinking it might not be a problem. The logo has rubbed off too, but I don't really plan on reselling these at some point - if I decide to get something new at some point I figure these would be more than a decent backup. Thoughts?

Top outside (keyholed):

Keyhole:

Top inside:

Bottom outside:

Bottom inside:

Stamp:
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Don't sweat it. I've got the same set of Zildjian A's my brother bought me in 1980; they have a similar "keyhole" at the top, and sit fine (actually, you really want them offset just slightly).

If it was a crack or hole elsewhere, or a crack zigging-out from the center hole, that would be a different story.

GJ

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:50 pm

you're all good dude. if you dig the sound of them than go for it. i've been playing for 15 years and spent about 8 of those years working at a drum shop. as long as you take care of those hats, that keyhole isn't going anywhere.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Just what I was hoping to hear, thanks guys! Now it's just a matter of dealing with typical Craigslist BS, the guy takes forever to email back. We'll see!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:31 pm

The impossible happened - a Craigslist deal fell through! Oh well, still good info to know.

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:25 pm

I love a slight keyhole like that when I'm a buyer. Makes em cheaper.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:54 pm

maggot wrote:I love a slight keyhole like that when I'm a buyer. Makes em cheaper.
Good to know! Now I don't have to be one of those folks not buying something simply because they don't know. Always nice to leave that camp! Unfortunately the deal fell through, but I'll be picking up a new pair of hats, which may end up being K Custom Darks anyway!