Unknown Mortal Orchestra recording techniques?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Unknown Mortal Orchestra recording techniques?

Post by MisterMark » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:54 am

Probably the best rendition of gritty 60's style production done in a modern recording I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B73w8FmZoqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwfeiXSstc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohSpsB_O_bI

Anyone have any insight on how these guys recorded their record? This is certainly going to be a band to keep an eye on. Absolutely love it.

-Mark
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:01 am

Anyone? How bout some theories and opinions?

"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

Rich Klein
audio school

Post by Rich Klein » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 am

Oh, let me guess. Using a Copperphone? Would that be the answer you're looking for?

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:40 am

Rich Klein wrote:Oh, let me guess. Using a Copperphone? Would that be the answer you're looking for?
is it me or is this quite the douche comment?
i don't hear the copperphone in this....but i couldn't hear it in Joel's Unsane record either (used on the bass, i think)..

cool tracks... will listen more...
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:50 am

Yes, interesting tracks! No idea of the production, but i like what i heard.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:24 am

Ha! Well the Copperphone would be a rather horrible mic choice for making a whole record sound like it was recorded in the 60's.

However, I know they used one in a live recording on the vocal (probably at a radio station performance):

http://vimeo.com/27695705

But seriously, I am utterly amazed at the authentic 60's nature of the studio recordings mentioned in my previous post. They really have captured it in a way that I have heard no one else do in the modern recording era. Just curious to know as to how it was done.

-Mark

Rich Klein
audio school

Post by Rich Klein » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:39 am

MisterMark wrote:Ha! Well the Copperphone would be a rather horrible mic choice for making a whole record sound like it was recorded in the 60's.

However, I know they used one in a live recording on the vocal (probably at a radio station performance):

http://vimeo.com/27695705

But seriously, I am utterly amazed at the authentic 60's nature of the studio recordings mentioned in my previous post. They really have captured it in a way that I have heard no one else do in the modern recording era. Just curious to know as to how it was done.

-Mark
You took my purposefully douchey remark in stride Mark. I like that. To be fair, I looked around because the stuff does sound good and was interested. I saw the Copperphone in the video you since posted and was suspicious. I only said what I said because I'm tired of companies trying to get backdoor advertising by undermining forums with fake posters or fiction just to get eyeballs. The recent fiasco with BLA comes to mind. That being said I don't believe that this is the case with you. I'm sorry. I was being overly sensitive.

While you're right I don't think they could do a whole album with your Copperphone, it's a good mic and I think it would be a very useful tool for trying to emulate their sound. I mean that in a good way.

To answer your question, all I read was something about a home studio. Why don't you ask them? We live in a very accessible world and you seem amicable enough that they would be open to answering your questions or at least pointing you in the right direction.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 am

Rich,

No sweat... I do understand where you are coming from though. I try to be careful about that and only post here on rare occasions in order to be be helpful to others or to gain some knowledge myself.

In the case of Unknown Mortal Orchestra... I only found out about them because a customer passed along the video to me. Which got me digging around into their catalog... and I have to say those recordings have made quite a curious impression on me.

Will take your suggestion and try to go to the source to get some answers. I'll report back what I find. Despite the ease of communication these days, I unfortunately find some artists can be a bit aloof when reaching out to them.

-Mark

JSKEARNEY
audio school graduate

Post by JSKEARNEY » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Man I've been listening to this all day, thanks for posting it.

From searching around some it seems that the frontman was in a pretty decently recognized band in the southern hemisphere (punky band) Apparently even won some over the top awards.

So the Band comes to U.S. and does OK, then brake-up. Then this guy records a song on his own that goes viral on the internets.. Which leads to interest and the need to finish out the band with the bass player and drummer.

From what I could find it seems that they recorded all this to tape in the guys basement. As just a hobbyist I often read about and sometimes fall into the trap of how "precious this technique is" and how "precious that is" and here this guy comes along with mediocre sounds and hits a freaking HOME RUN. Although, I do assume somebody that is pretty highly skilled must have done the mixing.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:59 am

I feel like you're getting the style mixed up with the fidelity. Not that the style is even 60's but it doesn't really sound all that 60's grit to me.

For the Unknown stuff that is a pretty easy sound to get. Just dirty recordings that have been mixed very well. There's tons of stuff that sounds like this right now. There's been tons of stuff like this for decades too(fidelity wise). A Couple of those songs are really awesome. I played a show in Chicago with these guys and totally forgot to watch em.

I think something like this is more what I would call 60's grit. I just stumbled into these guys at a show a few weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzMjaUZ6DJg
Last edited by jkelly222 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 am

If you want to get the Unknown sound just record on an 8 track and push the shit out of the levels. Then take it to a decent studio for a day or two and mix it through some nice gear. The key is having good songs though.