How doya tella a fake 57?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

How doya tella a fake 57?

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 am

So I bought a couple 57's offa Evilbay, and then I was reading about some counterfeits.

Is there a common method to ID a fake, i.e., some common trait?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 am

BTW, I did UTSF and there are lotsa google links 9here, for example) available - I'm wondering if anyone has noticed current trends ..
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

artercay
audio school graduate

Post by artercay » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

seeking the sound of heavy air

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 am

if it sounds good, probably a fake. :roll:
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 am

nordberg wrote:if it sounds good, probably a fake. :roll:
bwaahaaahaaa! Love it!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 pm

nordberg wrote:if it sounds good, probably a fake. :roll:
YOU STOLE MY REPLY
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanx.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:24 am

So I bought a cuppla 57's a cuppla weeks ago offa the evilbay, US$125 or so.

Rec'd 'em, one don't work. ?Opened 'em, the solder on the other failed.

I shoulda took pics, but these is really, really close, transformers, wire colors, red stamps, three threads showing, pinout board labeled, solid pins, put together nicely, heavy and the body seems right, windscreen looks right, color is correct, number of holes is good - even the sticker is aligned.

But the typeface on the sticker of the numbers is a little too thin, the plastic covers don't spin and are glued, and the solder points broke when I opened 'em. And they were sold as "used" but look new. I suspect they are real bodies with replacement guts.

Now, I had messaged the seller before I realized the scam and he/she immediately sent out a third (and working!) mic without asking for returns. ?The message was, "Don't vorry i will send you otherone :) " ?:lol:

So I took 'em apart yesterday, soldered 'em up. ?One hadda broke in half lead from the capsule - that was a bear where I hadda carefully extend the lead, after breaking the glue to disassemble, etc.

They work OK, altho' I haven't used 'em loud, yet - prob'ly gonna feedback easy?

So, US$125 for three mics worth, say, US$125.

Wartch out for those Ebay Shure deals (what I were too lazy to do the return on). ?BTW, the seller (who has nothin' else up what tells me prob'ly has numerous names) ends in "9" and begins witha "v".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 am

Why would you spend so much for a pair on eBay? At least in my area I can buy a (real) 57 used for $40-50 all day long on CL.

If you think they are fake contact Shure...they can probably ID them..

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:52 pm

I was stupid, duh! :twisted:

As I said, I was too lazy to deal withit, got the third, have a use for 'em, they don't sound that bad, and I already opened 'em up and fixed 'em.

My reasons in posting about it was the always-popular self-humiliation, the fulfillment of someone's clear need to put me down ( :lol: ), and to warn y'all it still goes on.

Me, I learned a lesson, and I took delivery since then on some Studio Project C4's ($183), Shure BG4.1 ($48,) a CAD M149 ($42, "condition unknown" - I got lucky! 8) ), a new MXL M144 ($68 ), a 635a ($68 ), and a MXL 1006 ($41 - gives me a pair). All are good (Some, not all, had $6-10 shipping, also.)

I'm awaiting delivery onna second Shure BG4.1 ($61, just won!) and I may look for one more 144 for overhead flex. I suspect I'll end up using the C4's on OH's and the BG's for other stuff, but ya never know.

(Yes, I had a few "extra" $, and decided to go for mic's.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:11 pm

I didn't mean to come off condescending just I won't deal with eBay unless I have to and find craigslist easier and usually much cheaper (kind of like how eBay was 10 years ago before everyone started using it and driving the prices up!). I would feel sore getting counterfeit anything on eBay and teach the scum a lesson, but that's just me.

It's been awhile since I've used then but the C4s aren't all that bad. Not bad at all on acoustic instruments, not my fav on overheads but they work.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Ever try the Shure BG 4.1's as OH's?

We are doing drums in a drywalled 8' ceiling, drywalled basement.

I've been using some Digital Reference dynamics and that's why I bought the "57's", to upgrade.

Then I made a few bucks, got hooked on the bidding ( :roll: ), and now I have the C4's ("matched"), the BG's, the psuedo-57's, and some ribbons.

The drummer and I prefer Recorderman, so I don't think the ribbons will be the best choice. I have other uses for them, of course, and I can use them for other patterns.

I started with cheap dynamics to control the cymbals, but ... they sound like cheap dynamics.

So it will probably be the C4's or the BG's, I'm thinking, for Recorderman.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.