From Nuendo 3 to Cubase 6 "What will I miss? (if anythi

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

From Nuendo 3 to Cubase 6 "What will I miss? (if anythi

Post by Ryan Silva » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:52 pm

So I have been using Nuendo 3 for about 4-5 years now, and find it a more than adequate tool for my DAW needs. I rarely use Nuendo for scoring, or audio post (not once in the last 3 years). I work with a Lynx Aurora 16 on a PC, and use mostly VST, and Waves PlugIns. I do enjoy VSTis on almost every project I work on.

What disappointments might I expect if I go to Cubase 6?

Any help would be grand.

Thanks folks.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Wilson
studio intern

Post by Wilson » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Nuendo and Cubase are essentially the same program from Steinberg except that Nuendo is more suited for postproduction work.The waves and VST plugins will also work on cubase 6 and the upgrade from Nuendo 3 to Nuendo 5 is 499$. Nuendo just released a free update that includes Cubase features such as the amp rack. Cubase probably has more soft synths than Nuendo. Why don't you go to the website, compare features and make your choice? Personally I'd upgrade to N5 and add any synths i may need. Much success to you!!

http://www.steinberg.net/en/home.html
As in music, so in life

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm

cunase 6 has a bunch of new stuff. a lot of editing capabilities, midi triggering etc and some nice built in effects and keyboards. the impulse reverb is quite nice too.
the new rules : there are no rules

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am

You won't miss a damn thing. I've been using Cubase since SX 1.0

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 pm

The only thing I really miss from Nuendo is the ability to modify the menus. I loved that I could hide all the options that I never used. If I click on Open Library instead of Open Project one more time I am going to freak out! Seriously though, I went from N2 a long time ago and after a few upgrades, other than the menu thing, I really didn't feel like I lost anything (except the aforementioned menu custimization).

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:40 am

Probably worth mentioning that Steinberg did a complete redesign of the comping paradigm in Cubase 6 (and its sister product, the new Nuendo release 5.5). I'm talking about how lanes of takes are edited, split, etc. into finished comps.

Now the software works more like, say, Sony Vegas or Reaper - in that you can't have more than one audio event "active" at a given vertical point in time. Also - in general (there are ways around this) - any split you make to a take happens across all takes.

This new approach has pluses and minuses, and definitely takes some getting used to. It's MUCH faster to do basic comping (say a series of vocal takes). However, cutting up a series of takes of non-linear performances (like a jazz horn improv) takes more time. Also, "comp-as-you-go" style recording can only be accomplished by converting each set of comped takes to an Audio Part before hitting record again.

Again, it's a complete redesign - the old way of splitting/comping/etc is no longer available to the user. And since this approach is totally new (to Steinberg anyway), some things are a bit rough around the edges. The appropriate staff at Steinberg are apparently reviewing emerging issues brought up by users, but no announcement of any upcoming tweaks has been made as of yet. If you'd like to learn more, here are some in-depth threads worth following over at the Steinberg forum:

http://steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13026

and

http://steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12638

Regards,
A.j.
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here