Non-Music/Recording Computer Issues...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Hey CK,

Are those "fanbois" French, or from Idaho?

GJ

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 pm

I agree, I have been running two laptops and a desktop for about 10 years with no virus protection and have had one small problem in all that time, thanks to my awesome but tech-naive wife clicking on a weird website. It was an easy registry fix. These are my home PCs strictly used for web surfing etc. Nothing against Macs at all, but you can run PCs and have a relatively virus free existence.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
casey campbell wrote:firefox?

tools

options

advanced

network

settings

no proxy server

then:

start

run

type: cmd

type: netsh winsock reset

reboot machine
You're saying that the malware has simply told their browser to use their proxy server so it can redirect them to malsites? Looks like a simple fix for that aspect of it. I'll have to remember that one.
yes, you got it! i have repaired a ton of machines this way. after you get the nasties off the hdd, it's one of the first things you check. make sure you do this with the network cable unplugged. it will prolly redirect you to a malware site as soon as firefox starts up..but it doesn't matter cause it can't talk to your machine with the network cable unplugged (or your wifi turned off). then go put your browser on "no proxy" as previously directed. also, make sure your default site is on something safe, cause alot of malware will change that too. that's under the general tab....

namoni
audio school

Re: Non-Music/Recording Computer Issues...

Post by namoni » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:38 am

Gregg Juke wrote: We got into some trouble with some viruses, malware, etc., etc. from my kids and their (now banned) gaming sites and such.

I'm not a computer guy, I'm not a Windows guy (started my computing years ago on a Mac), and I'm fishing in the dark.

Can anybody tell me how to restore some computing/surfing sanity to this machine?
I've had a similar problem, then my girlfriend put me onto Comodo System Cleaner and its free, and that helped a little. But whilst I was checking out about Comdo I found out from http://www.findthereview.com/software-r ... em-cleaner that Comodo also offers a service called GeekBuddy, and its were a tech guy logged into my computer and fixed everything, and the first problem is free to fix. But your problem sounds dire, i'd fork over a hundred dollars to your a local computer expert if GeekBuddy is not for you, and just get it sorted. I hope you get your computer fixed for the kids. You have my Best of wishes, goodluck.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Thanks Namoni; still working on it, but I appreciate all of the feedback!

GJ

radkins
audio school graduate

Post by radkins » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm

vvv wrote:]Sounds like you may have what is called a rootkit.

See here.

There's a thing called combofix what may help ...

Good luck!
I had the same thing happen and that fixed it.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Hey All,

Thanks for your help. I was eh-scared, but I tried "ComboFix."
Looks like it worked!

Thanks again,

GJ

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:05 am

yes indeed. combofix is a great tool; as is superantispyware (the free version from cnet).

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:48 am

Just another option, I always dual-boot my music machine with Ubuntu and use that if I need to do any surfing/internet related activity (or anything non-music related, for that matter). Much cheaper than buying a mac and just as virus-proof, if not more-so. It's very simple to do and you can allocate whatever amount of your hard drive you like to the partition.
This is really as good and cost-effective of a solution, as you can get. You will avoid future issues 100% if you stick with a stable build of Ubuntu (or any other proven linux distro).

The other thing, would be to buy the cheapest lap-top you kind find (pay $350 or less), and designate a "kids computer".

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Hey Earl,

(I'm glad you're not in the trunk). Yeah, that does sound like a good solution. Actually, I'm looking for a cheap netbook for me. The computer that was infected was my home workhorse; not a studio music computer, but pretty much everything else important nonetheless.

We've got a couple of older machines now (including a Mac for my oldest college-bound son), and I'm just looking for some room in the house to set-up some different stations. It would be great to get the kids mostly off of the main Windows machine...

GJ