Newb Question: Need some 2 input DAW inspiration.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sully75
audio school

Newb Question: Need some 2 input DAW inspiration.

Post by sully75 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Hello all. This is my first post. Apologies for the lameness therein.

I have an Edirol UA-25EX which I like quite a bit. I've been running it through Reaper, and recently got Live Intro, which I'm trying to figure out.

My needs are fairly basic currently, mostly trying to put together good sounding, creative cover recordings, generally myself on all instruments. I play guitar and bass, sing and have access to a Hammond organ. Haven't sorted out drums yet, may try to sequence them.

Anyway, I haven't done anything really amazing with the Edirol box, I'm still getting my feet wet. It's been really reliable and easy to use. I've gone through a couple of the original Mboxs and some other digidesign stuff about 5 years ago and found it all really frustrating. The Edirol has just worked.

I've been tempted to buy the octa-capture from Roland, I hear great things about it. And I could see a couple of things that I could do with that I couldn't do with my 2 channels, but in truth, I think I could really do a lot with this little box.

Anyway, I was wondering if people have any really inspirational projects they've done or know about on a 2 channel digital box, and also, pictures or setups of how to maximize the capabilities of it. I'd just like to hear some awesome stuff to prevent my gear desire from getting the better of me. I also have this thing set up in the most basic way possible, and wondering if there are ways to maximize it's potential.

Vague question but if you have any good answers I'm all ears.

Currently my equipment is pretty tatty, two good mic stands and two AT2020s. I have a really nice weighted midi piano, and another keyboard with drum pads on the way. I guess it's pretty clear that if I was going to blow some cash, it would be on more/better mics, etc...
no music online yet but here's my photography:

flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 pm

I did this via a Fostex 450 mixer into the 1/8" mic input jack on my mac (powerPC, pre G3-g4,Intel). Layered up, 2 or 1 track at a time. I didn't own a single condenser in those days either.

http://www.snarlnet.com/mp3/snarl/2_mix.mp3

Whether it's awesome or not is in the ear of the beholder. I did a ton of stuff that way. I'm starting to realize that my output has dropped in direct proportion to how capable my system has become. I'm thinking of going back to 2 inputs at a time and see if it's freeing again.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Check the link in my signature.
Everything there is done with a presonus audiobox and oktava mic. mk219.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:24 am

I use a Zoom R16 for drums and sometimes bass.

Sometimes just a Zoom H2 for drums.

(Or drum two-mixes from others.)

After that, everything is recorded through a M-Audio Delta 44. (4 I/O, I use two of.)

Check, as the above poster said, the link in my signature, or here, what has more links posted.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Those are some nice tunes VVV, from your signature.

Do your Delta 44's function with windows 7 64bit?
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanx!

No idear re Windows 7. I use 2005's Cool Edit Pro 2.1 in XP Pro 32 bit with dual 3.0 P4 processors.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Sorry Sully for hijacking your thread again.

VVV, how do you use two delta 44's at the same time? How do you sync them? Do you not need to sync PCI converters? This many open up a new can of worms for me!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:53 pm

Cyan421 wrote:Sorry Sully for hijacking your thread again.

VVV, how do you use two delta 44's at the same time? How do you sync them? Do you not need to sync PCI converters? This many open up a new can of worms for me!
I could be wrong, but I think he meant he was only using 2 of the 4 inputs on th Delta 44....referencing the 2 input inspiration part of the OP's question. But you may be able to set up mutiple devices as an aggregate audio type set up. I think Logic allows this, but not Pro Tools.

but anyhow...2 channels is plenty for all sorts of stuff. Submix through a mixer if you want more inputs and do mutiple takes. I often make the desicion up front to track with effects and submixing instead of fixing in the mix later.

now if you are tracking alot of full bands or orchestas, you definitely want more. But I wouldn't worry too much otherwise, just focus on the songs, performance and mic positioning and you'll be fine.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:35 am

Yes, I use 2 of the 4 ins/outs

But there is lotsa posts at the M-Audio site, and instructions, on using multiple cards.

That said, you could also get the Delta 66 or 1010 ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Cyan421 wrote:Sorry Sully for hijacking your thread again.

Years back, on a Win XP PC I sync'd 2 Delta 44's, you could sync them using multiple card sync option in the Delta control panel. They would sync but they wouldn't be sample-locked, as explained in here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/a ... sician.htm
Using a pair of Delta 66's or Delta 1010's would be better, as you could sync them by spdif (Delta 1010 has word clock but supposedly it's not so hot).
Thing is, you can buy one used Delta 1010 with 8 i/o for the price of 2 used Delta 44 cards (4 i/o each).
If you're on win 7, this probably won't work.