Room mics, where have you been all my life?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:31 pm

jgimbel wrote:+2, agreed.
Fuck yeah! +3 agreed.

Whenever I patch in my cd or tape deck to reference a disc I just burned, any mix that I've done at least, and get L and R turned around, its TOTALLY FREAKING weird mind fuck having everything on the opposite side, especially after listening to the same band for over 8 hours...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:44 pm

I used to pan from the drummers perspective, then one day I switched and i don't know why.....

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Brett Siler wrote:I used to pan from the drummers perspective, then one day I switched and i don't know why.....
One day i started putting on the left leg of my pants first instead of my right, and my left shoe instead of my right, after decades of doing it the other way. I also don't know why. I did realize that my reflexes have been greatly improved since then - I still drop things occasionally but always catch them before they hit the ground. Weird, right?
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Do as I do, put yer pants on both legs at the same time and only use mono drums.

Kidding ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

radical recording
alignin' 24-trk

Post by radical recording » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Try putting a condenser mic in a corner, high up, and turned around BACKWARDS--facing the corner. Very cool drum sound, with massive amounts of low end.

I always track drums with a room mic and sometimes vocals.
"Caution: I drive worse than you!"

http://www.radicalrecording.com/
http://roypeak.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:58 pm

jgimbel wrote:
Brett Siler wrote:I used to pan from the drummers perspective, then one day I switched and i don't know why.....
One day i started putting on the left leg of my pants first instead of my right, and my left shoe instead of my right, after decades of doing it the other way. I also don't know why. I did realize that my reflexes have been greatly improved since then - I still drop things occasionally but always catch them before they hit the ground. Weird, right?
Its good for the mind and body to use the other side of yourself than you normally would. I have drum students brush their teeth, eat, mouse and what ever else they can think of with their less active/strong hand.
vvv wrote:Do as I do, put yer pants on both legs at the same time and only use mono drums.

Kidding ... :twisted:
I put my pants on one leg at a time, except when I put my pants on I make gold records!
radical recording wrote:Try putting a condenser mic in a corner, high up, and turned around BACKWARDS--facing the corner. Very cool drum sound, with massive amounts of low end.

I always track drums with a room mic and sometimes vocals.
That's a great one, the corner of a hallway with the door to the room with the drums slightly open can be awesome too!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:50 am

We have mounted two permanent AKG C1000s -- spreading well apart > for our overheads ...and mix the room to our taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No34K-2vJmk
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote: I find it interesting that a drummer would prefer "audience perspective."
no one listens to records imagining they're standing behind the amps, right?

yeah yeah, lefty drummers, yeah yeah 'how would you pan stereo piano?', i know i know. leave me to my dogma.

trodden wrote:MSE, do you go all the way on the first date?
usually.
trodden wrote:MSE, are cooties real?
sometimes!
MSE, you time align all of your WAVs right?!?!? :lol:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:44 pm

when i want it to sound fake and shitty, yes.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:06 pm

jgimbel wrote:
ha! :lol:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:39 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:when i want it to sound fake and shitty, yes.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:when i want it to sound fake and shitty, yes.
nice! :rofl:

ok, serious time now...

The only guy that sometimes gets moved is the outside kick mic.

But i've really really really enjoyed and loathed at the same time the polarity invert process with the room mics.... I'll spend alot of time flipping back and forth... decided on something.. carry on... then the next day when I open the session back up I'll end up re-flipping it all back... then to do it all over again.. finally after eq'ing some on the room mic's... make a decision... amazes me every time.. so much that I can't even smoke the weed when working on that stuff off the clock on my own time.... My poor girlfriend.. "which do you think is better.. A or B, A or B..."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 am

for me, i usually find that if i flip the phase on the room mics, the subs on the kick go BONKERS. it's like the 200-400 stuff gets cancelled and the <80 stuff gets 6db louder.

it's very entertaining but i almost always flip them back to normal.

snare phase has driven me nuts more than once...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:03 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:for me, i usually find that if i flip the phase on the room mics, the subs on the kick go BONKERS. it's like the 200-400 stuff gets cancelled and the <80 stuff gets 6db louder.

it's very entertaining but i almost always flip them back to normal.

snare phase has driven me nuts more than once...
Yep. Hence the issues I called you about yesterday...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 am

EMBRACE THE LOW SHELF.