DIY Computers

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

davidlev
audio school

DIY Computers

Post by davidlev » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:26 am

Does anyone have experience with DIY audio computers for pro audio? I'd appreciate any info. Any caveats (e.g., "you need a 7200RPM hard drive with _____ bridging chip," "beware of XYZ Audio," etc.)?

I'd also be curious about the best values in already assembled computers--say, under $2k.

Many thanks,
Dave

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 am

You can probably just look around at what builders are offering, and see what componets they are using. Depending on your research and tech level, you can save some cash building your own, or just buy a turn key system that's ready to go.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 am

If you know what you are doing and are smart about component selection you can save money going DIY over premium prebuilt systems. Your component choice should be compared to Avid/Digidesign's compatability list before purchasing if you use Pro Tools and don't like surprises. The guidelines are roughly the same as building any other high performance PC....buy the best you can afford. I would not suggest cheaping out on anything, the system performance and stability is often designed by it's weakest link. If you don't know what you are doing in regards to system building I would highly suggest spending a great deal of time on DIY sites such as Tom's Hardware.com or purchasing a prebuilt premium system (not some cheap bullshit at Wal Mart).

While I have built several systems in the past I opted for a Mac Pro as my latest computer system with no regrets because of the escalating complexity in the work I do, general distaste with Windows, and that I don't have time for downtime these days. My 2 cents, YMMV of course.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:33 pm

i've built many systems over the years, some for DAW's some for gaming and personal use.

i think DAW building is technically easier since you have a cheat sheet to follow in the approved hardware list from the software you're going to use.
still many people have big problems with it, in every case it seems they didn't research what they needed. just ran out and bought "fast" parts.

so figure out what chipsets and stuff are tested with the software you plan to use.

i recommend going big with the motherboard especially. i like ASUS, their workstation line is made with the extra fancy stuff you'll want for a DAW like higher quality caps and diodes, extra power phases. just a more robust build.
and since that's the heart of everything in the system, it's the most important single part.

so what software do you use?
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:39 pm

jnTracks wrote:i've built many systems over the years, some for DAW's some for gaming and personal use.

i think DAW building is technically easier since you have a cheat sheet to follow in the approved hardware list from the software you're going to use.
still many people have big problems with it, in every case it seems they didn't research what they needed. just ran out and bought "fast" parts.

so figure out what chipsets and stuff are tested with the software you plan to use.

i recommend going big with the motherboard especially. i like ASUS, their workstation line is made with the extra fancy stuff you'll want for a DAW like higher quality caps and diodes, extra power phases. just a more robust build.
and since that's the heart of everything in the system, it's the most important single part.

so what software do you use?

I've heard it argued (convincingly, IMO) that the power supply is the most important part. Obviously, the MoBo is key feature-wise, but if you want robustness, don't scrimp on the PoSu either. I guess that's kindof dumb, to say what's most important. You can't have a comp without a mobo, posu, cpu, ram and a boot drive. I agree with the poster above who said you're limited by the slowest link in the chain. Just making a case for not taking the power supply for granted. Especially if you're going to run, multiple, fast disks, lotso ram, big video cards, case fans, etc., etc.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:52 am

The power supply is definitely important, both in having enough wattage and in being rated well enough to sustain it's spec.... In my experience cheap $20 psus have an average shelf live of 3 months to 1.5 years... Get a good one and don't wake up one day wondering why your computer won't work or randomly shuts off.

TimOBrien
pluggin' in mics

Post by TimOBrien » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:42 pm

mrc wrote:You can probably just look around at what builders are offering, and see what components they are using.
^THIS.

The companies that build audio computers generally know what works and keeps their customers from coming back at them in mobs with pitchforks and tar and feathers.

That said, you're not going to build a killer audio setup for $300 and by the time you price everything out you may find that you're already up to 2/3rds of known working system with a warranty you can fall back on if there is a problem.

For your $1500-$2000 budget you can get one without the headaches, with a warranty and with a track record....

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 pm

In Boston where I live I refer (cheap and wealthy alike, although some are both) musicians or those who want to work at home with small budgets to outlets who lease high-end computers to architects or engineers for short term projects. (Google or Yellow pages)

After the project is done they return the leased machines to the source. Much bang for the money (and normally set up for speed).

This requires some geek ability, but digital recording is a geek skill.

Making great records has always been a multifaceted geek skill. requiring technical, musical, and people skills.

I suggest spending the difference on mics and a couple of channels of tasty pres.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****