Upgrade my monitors, or upgrade my interface?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:54 am

.... the sound "cleared" up, but the change wasn't as drastic as say going from the Mackie pres to a Neve 1073....I was expecting a Wow moment when I recorded with the API's, and I didn't get it.
Funny I had that WOW moment with the API's, less so with the 1073's

This however points to source and microphone choice.

I was looking for some serious 'snap' from my snare recordings, and was having a difficult time getting it on a consistent basis. So when I picked up my API 3124 it changed everything. When got my first 1073 (BAE1023) it took a while before I found its true value (for me) on things like guitar and bass.

It all comes down to what you are having trouble accomplishing, and choosing the pieces of gear that suits your needs.

Just be careful of your ears reacting to your wallet. ;-)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:23 am

chris harris wrote:I'll disagree right back. The difference between an API and Mackie preamp should be quite clear and obvious, even if you're listening to an sm57 through iPod earbuds. If you can't hear the difference, you should be more skeptical of your ears than the gear.

But, I also used Mackie and API preamps for years. And, the difference isn't remotely subtle.
Thanks for questioning my hearing - I'll remember that when I'm building my next batch of microphones or being paid to fine-tune an installed PA system. 8)

I would certainly say that differences are possible - any preamp will sound different when driven into distortion, and people certainly seem to be fond of distorting their sources nowadays.

What I would definitely say is that pretty much anything you buy for more than $100 will have pretty decent preamps, certainly usable for recording.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 am

There are lots of fantastic, cheap, decent, useable preamps. There are also, however, plenty of preamps that deliver beyond being described as "decent" and "useable".

And, the differences, even with the same mic, in the same room, going into the same converters, are NOT subtle. Even in the ideal gain range, before distortion...

The existence of such preamps doesn't make the cheaper pres any LESS useable.

Maybe it's not your ears.... though, years and years of live sound can definitely do some damage. Maybe it's just a preference. Maybe the improvements with better-than-decent go-to preamps are just in areas that are unimportant to you. But, the difference is definitely there.

Your skepticism could easily be taken as a suggestion that anyone bothering to invest in preamps in the post Mackie era is a sucker. It goes hand-in-hand with the oft repeated assertion that we're all suckers to trends and advertisements. I don't actually have any lust for high end gear. I want the gear that gives me the best results. Often, it's inexpensive gear.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 am

Just to be clear, are you saying that the differences between the cheap, useable preamps for $100 and up and an API 312c are negligible? Or, are you just saying that the OP's other issues might prevent him from hearing the difference?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 am

chris harris wrote:Just to be clear, are you saying that the differences between the cheap, useable preamps for $100 and up and an API 312c are negligible? Or, are you just saying that the OP's other issues might prevent him from hearing the difference?
Definitely monitoring and acoustics for a "most bang for your buck" situation. Preamps aren't the weak link here.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:35 am

Agreed.

Shellacattack
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Upgrade my monitors, or upgrade my interface?

Post by Shellacattack » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:51 am

Try to sit so that you are about three(3) feet from your monitors, and set your monitoring level to around 80 dB SPL.This will help in your listening accuracy. An when mixing, DO NOT CHANGE THE MONITOR LEVELS.
I broke out the old Radio Shack SPL meter, and sitting here listening to 80 db is pretty loud. I think if I was to monitor at this level for an hour, my ears would be pretty fatigued.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Shellacattack wrote:
Try to sit so that you are about three(3) feet from your monitors, and set your monitoring level to around 80 dB SPL.This will help in your listening accuracy. An when mixing, DO NOT CHANGE THE MONITOR LEVELS.
I broke out the old Radio Shack SPL meter, and sitting here listening to 80 db is pretty loud. I think if I was to monitor at this level for an hour, my ears would be pretty fatigued.
Which weighting are you using? You should be on a weight, slow response, and 0 is the 80 dB Spl, when the scale is set to 80.

If that is too loud though, then go down to 75 dB...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Try this analogy.

Lets just say you wanted to improve your shooting at a shooting range. What would you rather do, buy a better gun, or remove the distorted beer goggles which alter everything you see?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:08 am

alcoyot wrote:Try this analogy.

Lets just say you wanted to improve your shooting at a shooting range. What would you rather do, buy a better gun, or remove the distorted beer goggles which alter everything you see?
+1^3
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:37 am

Shellacattack wrote: Monitors: Event Project Studio 6
Definitely upgrade the monitors first. I had a pair of those ten years ago and there was no bass on those things. Some old cheap B&W 602s and an Adcom 535 would be an infinitely preferable monitoring option in my humble...