Tape Deck Orientation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Tape Deck Orientation

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 am

I've been lurking on the forum for awhile and am a regular reader of Tape Op, and I have never heard this topic discussed before.

I track to a Tascam TSR 8. Those units have rubber feet on the "bottom" and on the "back" of them, so that it is possible to orient the tape deck either perpendicular or parallel to the floor. My unit is not rack-mounted.

My question may seem obvious, but how much better for the machine is it to have the deck (reels and hubs) parallel to the floor? Does it make a difference? It seems like it would better for the hubs to orient the machine this way. Or maybe 45 degrees???
dehumidified

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm not sure it matters. The most critical thing is the tape path and tension. As long as the tape is passing over the heads properly, I suppose you could stand it upside down if you wanted.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Having the machine on it's back makes cleaning and editing easier (because you can see the heads). Otherwise the's no real difference.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:37 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Having the machine on it's back makes cleaning and editing easier (because you can see the heads). Otherwise the's no real difference.
That's exactly what I thought too.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:50 pm

I had a TSR-8 for several years. I don't believe it matters. For what its worth, I had the original box and the unit is shipped lying on its back (hubs up). Just a thought in case you ever transported it.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 pm

My MS 16 can go either way. Certainly parallel to the floor makes maintenance easier but it probably doesn't matter.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:54 am

I've run my 1/2" Scully 280-4 both in the original cart (hubs mostly parallel to the floor) and in my rack (hubs perpendicular to the floor). Makes no difference on that machine.

Yes to the other folks here, though. Maintenance, cleaning, and especially the simple act of threading the machine are way easier with the hubs parallel to the floor. Especially on a Scully, which can spill tape like a MoFo if you don't learn to shuttle the transport.

Once you get to something like a 2" machine, I gotta beleive you need the hubs parallel to the floor just for machine stability.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??