Sampler / drum machine recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Sampler / drum machine recommendations?

Post by UnlikeKurt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 am

Hello.
I'm looking to purchase a drum machine / sampler. I'd like something that isn't going to be a daunting task to learn to use, that can create loops and then tie them together and that sends midi so i can sync my synthesizer to it.
Oh, and of course, not break the bank too badly as i'm only a novice.

thanks for any suggestions!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 am

Most hardware doesn't sample any more, probably the cheapest option is the Korg ESX 1.

radmike
gimme a little kick & snare

This guy.....

Post by radmike » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:33 am

I've been looking at the arturia spark. It seems pretty easy to use. It does require a USB connection to a computer though.

Hide
audio school

Post by Hide » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 am

Akai MPC series is not bad. :)

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 am

^
+100000

I have had an MPC 2000XL since 1998 and don't know what I'd do w/o it. I have done all types of shit w/ it. Rap, metal, ambient, drone, noise, folk. Limitless. Put a sound in and work with it.

CAVEAT

The tech is older. You CAN get one with a CF reader or install one yourself(I did). But there is no direct connectivity to a computer. So what though? One less thing to get in the way.

BTW I have never had screen problems, but then I never left it on for weeks at a time like most of the cats who seem to have problems. That is something to look for. Buy one in front of you, not off ebay. The screens on some developed bad spots that got worse. HOWEVER someone has FINALLY solved the problem and new screens are set to come out in a year or so.

Nadir
audio school

Post by Nadir » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:34 am

I recommend the Beat Thang. It's a mobile music production system (including drum machine and sampler) manufactured by Beat Kangz Electronics and producer Dallas Austin.

Here' a blurb:
"Loaded with over 3,000 original, professionally mastered sounds, a sampler with waveform editing, built-in effects, chromatic keypads, and a fully portable rugged design, the Beat Thang simplifies professional music production down to its core by providing you with all the tools you need to make high-quality, radio-ready, club-friendly music right out of the box."

The Beat Thang is available exclusively at Best Buy until the end of the year, but you can find more info on the website http://www.beatthang.com

And full disclosure: I do some marketing and production work for the company (look for my sound packs coming soon) but I'm also a user. I've been using the Beat Thang and its software counterpart Beat Thang Virtual for a couple of years along with Reason in Cubase. They've taken my productions to a a whole new level.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:51 am

LOL did you join this forum to spread your agenda? The OP did say "not break the bank" as well... The "Beat Thang" costs as much as if not more than a decent laptop, and much more than an iPad....

I'm glad it contains a bank of "professionally mastered" samples because I hate having to ghetto master my beats... Are you guys betting on that your user base doesn't know what mastering is?

Nadir wrote:I recommend the Beat Thang. It's a mobile music production system (including drum machine and sampler) manufactured by Beat Kangz Electronics and producer Dallas Austin.

Here' a blurb:
"Loaded with over 3,000 original, professionally mastered sounds, a sampler with waveform editing, built-in effects, chromatic keypads, and a fully portable rugged design, the Beat Thang simplifies professional music production down to its core by providing you with all the tools you need to make high-quality, radio-ready, club-friendly music right out of the box."

The Beat Thang is available exclusively at Best Buy until the end of the year, but you can find more info on the website http://www.beatthang.com

And full disclosure: I do some marketing and production work for the company (look for my sound packs coming soon) but I'm also a user. I've been using the Beat Thang and its software counterpart Beat Thang Virtual for a couple of years along with Reason in Cubase. They've taken my productions to a a whole new level.

alf
gettin' sounds

Post by alf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56 am

Yes! Yes he did!

This Beatthang ADVERTISMENT is obvious to me as I am on the MPC forum and these guys have been trying to hawk their SAD product for more than a year.

Compared to ANY MPC it sucks. Look at the specs. Not to mention it looks like crap. They released a soft version. Why don't you look and see the awesome amount of support they have given it(ie very little)

The Beatthang guys are notoriously unprofessional too. I am sure I am about to get lambasted but it would be a waste of time as I will reply no further. You guys look around and see how crap this is for yourselves.

DO NOT SUPPORT THESE GUYS. PROVEN JERKS.

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:45 am

yup. no piggy smashing. and no computers. please.
just something i can make some beats and maybe put some glitchy noises down with.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:59 pm

If you are looking for cheap, the old Roland sampling drums machines (sp505, sp606) might fill the bill. They are usually around for less than $250. You would also want to get a bigger storage card.

They have some definite limitations -- the shuffle functon isn't very good, and the timeshift function is better avoided. They are not gonna sound as clear as some other units. It's a money thing, though -- MPC can probably do better, if you can afford an MPC.

The 505 and 606 are very easy to sample and loop with. The timing is solid, and they have the wacky Roland extras (good fx with knobs, 606 has a D-beam that can open the filter or run a little mono synth sound). You can resample sounds through the onboard fx.

The 606 has 4 tracks, so you can turn different parts of the groove on and off on the fly. With the fx knobs, this gives you a lo budget dub capability that's different from other machines.

Avoid the sp404 unless you gotta have batteries as an option.

Hope this helps.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Yeah the Roland/Boss samplers are cool. I have an old Sp-202 and instead of having pre loaded sounds like a drum machine, you can sample your own sounds and potentially get better/more interesting sounds. Plus most of them come with effects you can tweak the samples with which is fun.

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks for all the help everyone.
I picked up a SP-505 off of the bay. It seems a lot less intimidating than any of the electribe units and a lot less of an investment than an mpc.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 am

Would you please report back after you've tried it for a while? Maybe even post a sample of your samples? I'm interested in getting something like this but have been daunted by the price of MPC's. Although I bet we see the prices for sp's go up now from the power of the TOMB.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.